Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a horrible clonking noise every now an then when turning the steering wheel, i know it's not driveshafts, or CV boots as i've just had brand new ones put on and this was happening before aswell but i thought it was CV boots any ideas? top mount? U Jay joint? Any Advice Thanks Gaz.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,605 Posts
It's Steering Rack and Track Rod Ends after that but I'd expect the noise to be there all the time if they were the source.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Iv got the same sort of noise if turn the steering left when not moving I get two clonks very strange iv had it on the ramp couldnt see anything wrong

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah mine sounds like it's coming from the drivers strut when i've come to a stop an start turning to go up my drive lol

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this!!!! happened to me, everything sounded totally goosed, jacked it up and turned the spring then it was all sorted
I'll have to have a look now lol! can sometimes hear when turning the springs under tension, which i've had in all my previous cars but hope it can be something simple lol!

·
Registered
13 Posts
been having same problem when turn the wheel slightly left and right i get clonking noise jacked the car up and got a mate to turn the wheel got under the car and if you get up close to where the inner tie rod meets the driveshaft you can hear the clonking noise going to get new inner and outer tie rods hope this helps

and they say if its any play in the wheel when rocked left and right from the 3 and 9 oclock position could be the track rods it aint a great deal of movement in mine but a little prob could pop the tie rod out and feel for any play on the inner rod

hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts