Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to do a MASSIVE amount of this a couple years ago but am planning to do a batch again this week ready for ye olde crimbo!

I've a massive stash of wines in the loft some bottles are three years old now too!

I'll try and find the pics of some of the ones ive done when I can, but just wondering who else does it and what you make!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
what are you planning on brewing? Ale?

i've been reading up on it alot (as i usually do before sinking any money into anything)
a couple of the blokes at my work also home brew regularly

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I've made ales in the past along with copious amounts of wine.

I've just got a cheapy shop bought one on the brew for xmas as I didn't have the time to do a full brew.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I used to buy the kits from boots years ago for the elderberry wine,amongst others,tell you what,,,it would blow the head off you when its ready,it just didnt remain cost efficient with all the wine deals supermarkets are offering,but as a hobby its well worthwhile.The homebrew is more hit and miss ,but pull it off and its rocket fuel,haha

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i have been looking in to doing a home brew i love real ales but there so expensive to buy from a shop.how hard are the home brews to make.Do i need much kit to start with

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
From what I've read between 50 and 100 quid.
You can save money by scrounging parts and recycling.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To start off experimenting with the shop bought home brew stuff, all you need is a 5gallon bucket (pref food grade but not 'essential') with a lid, and either a £20 pressure barrel from Wilkos or enough sealable bottles for the amount you've made.

all you need to buy then is a syphon hose a hydrometer if you wanna be picky, and some steriliser.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The ST costs me enough without you dangling this idea in front of me lol. Always fancied a go, my Dad used to do it, wonder whether he still has the kit.......

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never tried the lager kits myself as when I have weeks off work I like to start from scratch-ish, so tend to make Ales, but I've tried both ale and bitter kits and the taste is amazing.

My stepfather years ago used to buy these bags from boots that you hung in the airing cupboard, even had a sediment trap at the bottom.

thanks for the info guys i think im guna look in to getting my self a kit from wilkos
Some of the larger tescos stock some stuff now too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cheers rob, do you mix the 2kg of sugar into the pressure barell or am i mixed up lol, aint got clue about this stuff always wanted to try it though cheers dan

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Basically, to cut it short you mix everything in the bucket, it ferments in there for about a week, then get transferred into the pressure barrel for a further two weeks.

It needs to not be in any pressure vessel during the fermentation as the process gives off CO2 and alcohol, the CO2 being gas means it'll pressurise and blow (hence why some ginger beer brews explode) too much CO2 will kill the yeast, (which is what makes the alcohol - -- the yeast eats the sugar and giver off the two by-products) too much alcohol will also kill the yeast.

The too much alcohol side of things means your homebrew kit you buy from a shop will never normally go above the stated alcohol level as its engineered to die at that strength, I've made a few ciders where I've used wine yeast and got strengths of about 9% and I've had wine at 19%

So you can technically tailor how sweet you make things by using more sugar but using a yeast strain that will die at say 5/6% meaning a sweeter beer/cider/wine.

There are other methods but thats it in short

Also the kits come with all instructions anyway, open up the box in the shop or take the plastic cover off a tin and have a read

·
Registered
394 Posts
This forum just gets better lol thanks for your help rob i shall be out at weekend getting the bits and starting thanks.

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Shouldn't these kits come with a spare liver
. I remember my rather nutty uncle made some wine years ago. He had one glass and passed out!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shouldn't these kits come with a spare liver
. I remember my rather nutty uncle made some wine years ago. He had one glass and passed out!
I managed 2/3 of a bottle of some of my wine and felt fine...............

Just wish I could have told my legs that

·
Registered
531 Posts
I brew wine regularly. I've got 2 5 litre demijohns and buy the all in one 6 bottle brew kits that you can get from Wilkinsons. I can make 11 to 12 bottles for about 13 quid. Bargain.

IF you can let them sit for 3 months that start to taste really good too...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I brew wine regularly. I've got 2 5 litre demijohns and buy the all in one 6 bottle brew kits that you can get from Wilkinsons. I can make 11 to 12 bottles for about 13 quid. Bargain.

IF you can let them sit for 3 months that start to taste really good too...
I make mine with fruit straight from the trees/hedge, got some bottles that are three years old waiting for xmas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts