Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, Am new to the forum firstly hello.

Am coming back to the world of ford after a break , Use to own a focus mk1 1.8 very normal. Moved onto a seat leon Fr - Tuned that up now its time to move on !.

Am looking at focus st2/3s . I thought to myself what better place to get my info than an owners forum!.

The budget i will be having in june unless the prices have dropped ! , will be a car on around 70-80k . Have looked around and there are a few nice examples that are motorway miles, So my question being, if i was to get a car like this is it a good idea ? . I will be modifying the car engine wise so i need it to be strong but having this engine i assume it will be ? .

Anyone on here who has one on high miles ? and how are they..

Cheers guys .

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(cawsey20 @ 19 Feb 2010, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey there, Am new to the forum firstly hello.

Am coming back to the world of ford after a break , Use to own a focus mk1 1.8 very normal. Moved onto a seat leon Fr - Tuned that up now its time to move on !.

Am looking at focus st2/3s . I thought to myself what better place to get my info than an owners forum!.

The budget i will be having in june unless the prices have dropped ! , will be a car on around 70-80k . Have looked around and there are a few nice examples that are motorway miles, So my question being, if i was to get a car like this is it a good idea ? . I will be modifying the car engine wise so i need it to be strong but having this engine i assume it will be ? .

Anyone on here who has one on high miles ? and how are they..

Cheers guys .

as long as its been serviced at the correct intervals & generally well cared for i cant see any reason why it would be a bad idea mate.
just check & ask if the usual suspects have been repaired in the past, ie alternator, oil diaphram and that the clutch is ok!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The engine will be ok. Clutch may be your biggest issue. For standard cars it should be ok but I guess 90 % of ST's has been modded at some point or another and the clutch does not take increased torque very well. Allthough the earlier ST's have better clutches apparently. The 2007 and later seem to suffer most from clutch failure.

also check brake discs because I notice mine are wearing quite fast as well at 20.000 miles and some track (ab)use.

greetz

Neil

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Get one that looks like it has been well cared for and has a complete and correct service history. I would also recommend spending a few hundred quid extra on a good warranty just in case. It's not an unreliable car by any stretch but the odd component does go wrong.

If you want to research the ST fully check out the Technical sections on here, all the info you could ever want on what to look and all for a measly tenner.

It may also be worth keeping your eye out on the For Sale section, some of the best cared for cars belong to owners who are active club members.

Happy hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts