Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(newtoallofthis @ 10 Nov 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>done this mod?

if so

how much did it cost?

how much difference in performance did you notice?

has it put a strain on your car?

Im not sure anyone gone down this road yet! One reason being that the ST has variable valve timing so the amount of time the valves spend open and shut can, i think, be changed on the mapping!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Valve timing can probably be varied but not valve lift Andy?

Saying that it's possibly too complicated to do due to the variable cam set-up, expensive to open up the motor and start measuring clearances etc plus the chances of the motor going pop afterwards due to liners etc would put most people off I'd guess.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 10 Nov 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Valve timing can probably be varied but not valve lift Andy?

Saying that it's possibly too complicated to do due to the variable cam set-up, expensive to open up the motor and start measuring clearances etc plus the chances of the motor going pop afterwards due to liners etc would put most people off I'd guess.

Theres probably not a lot of clearance for higher lift anyway Troy! Id have thought youd get better gains just from smoothing and flowing the inlet ports to be honest! Wild cams are more of a boost for N/A engines than turbos?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
This has been looked at on paper, but not in practice. Basically it was decided that untill we had a block strong enough to take decent boost it was a bit pointless looking at cams, etc.

The basic idea was that the inlet cam doesnt need touching, but a more agressive exhaust cam would benefit, i may be wrong but im pretty sure the new RS has got different cams and this would of course be a cheaper way of going down the cam route.

Personally i wouldn't bother with this route unless you had already got EVERYTHING that is available currently for the ST, including gas flowed head, Garrett Turbo, LSD, clutch, brakes, coilovers etc etc.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
QUOTE(KSJ24 @ 11 Nov 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Newbe alert!

Wouldn't it just be better to increase fuelling via a re-map?

Simple Answer = it doesnt really work like that mate, alot of time goes into getting maps just right and they look at alot more than just upping the fueling and boost.

Long Answer =

To get more power out of the car companies who do the remaps offer alot more than just upping the fueling and boost, also the benefit of cams is not restricted to only allowing more fuel in, in fact to be fair on the ST the cams themselves would have little effect on this. As i stated in my post, the ST would benefit only from changing the exhaust cam and this would purely just allow the gases to get out of the head better and allow you to run more boost safer.

As i said, i think the RS has got re-designed exhaust cams to allow for the extra heat generated from the larger turbo, IN MY OPPINION this is where the larger turbo conversions are going wrong, by not addressing the heat build up in the cylinders, and this is ultimatley leading to cracking the cylinder walls in the top 15mm of the head.

Get the heat issuses sorted out with a decent gas flow and im sure the ST engine will be capable of alot more then we have seen so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.