Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Steve, Plymouth, got a 2007 ST2 in orange. Wonderful vehicle, but I've just developed the dreaded "ESP System fault", and there seems to be a lot of great knowledge on this forum so thought I'd come and seek some advice.

Looks to be a great forum with a load of friendly people, so "hi" from me!

Cheers,
Steve

P.s. signed up for the owner membership on Friday, but still can't access the technical discussion. Help? Need some advice before going to the Ford Main Stealer on Monday...

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Hiya Steve and
to the
club

Sorry to hear about your ESP fault, hopefully your account will be upgraded today so that you can access the technical forums, as you rightly say there is a wealth of information there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Donna! I look forward to being given a key to the front door so I can come in and look around!!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
As you've done the decent thing and signed up as Owner Member, I had a quick look around for you and found this part of a topic about ESP system fault, the general advice was pull the KAM fuse and clean the MAF sensor, and the original poster has said that this cleared his fault - try it, it may help for you

QUOTE(darian @ 20 Feb 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please help guys i have a big problem. Tonight i ran my ST throught town with the ESP on and after i while i stopped at a gas station. After i payed i got in the car and when i put the ignition on i got ESP SYSTEM FAUL Error. I cannot engage the ESP and it is no running. I tried restrating the engine but i get the same error. The error is shown even with the engino off but with the ignition on.
Please help.
(
QUOTE(RIK @ 20 Feb 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Havent you just fitted a new induction kit ????

Try cleaning the MAF sensor mate just incase your filter has oiled the sensor alittle. !!
worth a try !
QUOTE(stingy @ 20 Feb 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>take out the kam fuse mate, number 26 under the bonnet. leave it out for 30mins.
this will clear the fault. could be any number of things. it might never come back.
happened on mine the other night. just done as above myself & its not came back since.

^beat me to it^ odds on its the maf sensor mate. if it comes back clean it with some contact cleaner!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*sigh* Tried all the things peeps have suggested in this thread - Fuse 26 (and 13 because it has the same symbol) taken out for an hour, took the MAF out and cleaned it, and unplugged all the wheels sensors and sprayed electrical cleaner in the connectors, took it for a drive - Still got "ESP SYSTEM FAULT" every time you turn it on.

Any ideas? Does it look like a terminal ESP Unit? I can hear the Ford Main Stealer rubbing their hands together now...

Mods - can I please please please have my owner membership access now?

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Does the car drive ok? any misfire or boost problems? your maf could be faulty. I hope its not the ESP, but if it is try getting one off fleabay, they can be bought for about £100 and get someone to fit it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 28 Feb 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Welcome to the club.

Does the car drive ok? any misfire or boost problems? your maf could be faulty. I hope its not the ESP, but if it is try getting one off fleabay, they can be bought for about £100 and get someone to fit it.

Thanks for the reply Phil. The car drives wonderfully, no complaints with boost or misfire, it's running as great as it always has. The only complaint is the lack of traction control/ESP (wheelspins when you accelerate hard) and the light / error on the dash. I've tried the dashboard diagnostic mode, and I've got 2 error codes (D900 and E510) which seem to be non-descript "communication error" codes, although there's hardly any info on google about them. Is there anything else I could try?

If I had the OBD software I could try and clear the code and see if it came back. For future, can anyone recommend any good OBD kits for the ST? I've had VAG-com stuff in the past for my cupra, and I've got an EEC4 and EEC5 system for my old-school Fords, but they won't be much good for my ST.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
You really need to link it up to Fords OBD to read and clear all fault codes, most non ford types won't read all faults?

I know quite a few guys on here have had the ESP module changed under warranty and a few have done it themselves, so the info is all on here.
Hopefuly someone will be able to give you some more advise?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Phil. Soon as my account is activated I'll do a search. I might try the warranty route, as it's only 28 days outside of warranty, with a stiffly worded letter to Ford Customer Services I might be able to do something!

Thanks for all your help guys,

·
Official L&amp;SE Master chef
2,311 Posts
to the club mate

hope you get the st sorted soon

if you do need to change the abs pump its not to much of a job to do yourself

i bought one like Phil says on ebay and fitted it myself and it worked a treat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes guys, I've got it booked into a local garage to try and get the fault code off it, that's before trying the Ford Main $tealer of course!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts