Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 MK2 FL ST3 Performance Blue
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve bought an HID kit from Autobeam (Xtreme-Xenon HID dipped beam kit) as my dipped beam is awful and went to fit them yesterday but I’m a bit lost. I’m pretty good at figuring out how to fit things I’ve never done before but this has the better of me so far. I’ve fitted the bulbs in and connected them to the new ballasts but I’ve got a positive and negative wire coming from the kit each with a male spade connector on that I can’t find where to plug in. I’m no electrician so forgive me if it’s an easy fix but I’m just after a bit of an explanation. Do I need to cut the wires going to the old bulb and fit female spas connectors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 MK2 FL ST3 Performance Blue
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is an st-3 and I know it’s got factory fitted xenons but they’re awful on dipped and a friend of mine had an st-3 and put this kit on his and recommend it to me so I thought I’d just go for it. He’s since sold the car and just got a garage to fit the lights so he’s not sure how it was done. I’m thinking maybe I’m best to just buy brighter bulbs but then that also confuses me with some people saying you need a 55w ballast to run brighter bulbs (also a reason I got this kit).

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
You don't need a HID kit as an ST-3 already has xenons. If new bulbs don't fix it your brightness issue is likely either the levelling is broken or like I had the reflectors in the projectors are past it and new bulbs won't help. I had to buy new headlight units.

Not sure how you could fit an aftermarket hid kit of another socket type without replacing the ballast and more of the headlight internals?

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,217 Posts
You can try some new xenon bulbs as the old ones may have lost some brightness, however what is more likely to be the cause is the chrome plating around the bulb has burnt off, thus the lower light output. If so you'll need to either:
1) Buy new lights (2nd hand are likely to be little better)
2) Upgrade the projector unit in the existing lights (not plug and play) Ford Focus MK2 Headlight repair and upgrade kits, HID xenon, LED & more (retrofitlab.com)

·
Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
1,181 Posts
You can try some new xenon bulbs as the old ones may have lost some brightness, however what is more likely to be the cause is the chrome plating around the bulb has burnt off, thus the lower light output. If so you'll need to either:
1) Buy new lights (2nd hand are likely to be little better)
2) Upgrade the projector unit in the existing lights (not plug and play) Ford Focus MK2 Headlight repair and upgrade kits, HID xenon, LED & more (retrofitlab.com)
Have you used the retrofitlab kit yourself? Is it any good?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts