Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving earlier tonight and upon turning off to a village didnt see the puddle on the left side of my car, it was a fairly deep one i think, i went through it at 25-30mph maybe, i have an uprated intercooler, cold air induction kit and many other things on my car, but the issue i have is the K&n induction kit has a cone that sits very low down by the passenger wheel, after driving through it, my car started jolting and eventually lost power and stalled, i rang my mums partner who isnt familiar with STS, but has knowledge on cars, he told me to leave it for 15 mins and then turn it on, when i did it started fine, no noises everything normal, i left it 5 mins idling, when driving home, i made the mistake of putting my put further down than i should have done, and it started playing up again, 2 mins from my house it cut out again, my friend came to see if he could do anything, but there wasnt anything he could see to be done, my friend who has an st recommended when i got it home to just leave it for a day and let the cone dry out etc, I am worried i could do serious damage to the car, considering a closed air induction kit instead now if im honest, if anybody has any ideas, please they would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Take the maf out and clean it. Let the come dry out in your house for a few hours.

Check to see if any water has got into the intercooler.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the maf out and clean it. Let the come dry out in your house for a few hours.

Check to see if any water has got into the intercooler.
Ok i'm going to sound RIDICULOUSLY stupid now, but how do you take the Maf out ? where is it exactly? as for the cone, i wouldnt know how to take it off either ? sadly as much as i have vague knowledge about cars i dont know how to take them apart. thankyou by the way

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
It's either the map of maf. I can't remember which way round they are. But if you look at your induction kit, there's a black plastic bit with a connector going too it. Take that off and spray some electrical contact cleaner on the two wires inside.

The cone should be attached to the bottom of the pipe with a jubilee clip. It's usually 6 or 7mm socket or a flat head screw driver to undo.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's either the map of maf. I can't remember which way round they are. But if you look at your induction kit, there's a black plastic bit with a connector going too it. Take that off and spray some electrical contact cleaner on the two wires inside.

The cone should be attached to the bottom of the pipe with a jubilee clip. It's usually 6 or 7mm socket or a flat head screw driver to undo.
Well i'm working til 5pm, tomorrow and its going to be dark by then, i was told a good idea would be to let the cone dry out etc , and by that time tomorrow, the start it up, and let it run for say an hour, then take it for a slow drive ?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
silly idea these cones that sit load, dont care how much "cold air" the draw in... but thats my opinion, I know they are well loved on here

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ye let it dry out mate and it should start then take it easy and let it warm up
It was only when i put my foot down a little (and the engine was trying to suck in air) that the car had issues, im guessing the cone got soaked pretty bad! thankyou

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Like already said it sounds like you've drawn some water past the MAF sensor so just take it off and dry it out and should be fine.

Get yourself a dry charger for the filter and don't drive through anymore big puddles

·
Registered
253 Posts
I brought one because of the noise but with all the floods this is exactly why i hate driving in the dark incase i get caught out not paying attention almost did the other day had to swerve around the flood

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like already said it sounds like you've drawn some water past the MAF sensor so just take it off and dry it out and should be fine.

Get yourself a dry charger for the filter and don't drive through anymore big puddles
Does the MAF sensor just disconnect or something ? I don't even know what one looks like haha, dear oh dear, i need to learn more about my car!!!!

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Does the MAF sensor just disconnect or something ? I don't even know what one looks like haha, dear oh dear, i need to learn more about my car!!!!
When you open the bonnet it's on the right hand side by the battery and it will have a lead plugged into it, there is a jubilee clip at either side of the induction tubing that its connected to so just loosen them off and remove and clean up and then refit or replace.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
The MAF sensor is as shown on the photo above, but yours will be bolted to the K&N inlet. Remove the MAF from the K&N and the hose, then take it indoors to dry it out near a heater. Then refit it the SAME way round. Have you got any lights on the dash?

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
I did this a few days ago in my car. I managed to get it home parked it up for 12 hours then it was fine. Just leave it be.
I can appreciate that it worked for you which is great, but as already stated "please dry out" as much as possible to limit costly damage

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yep. Same happened to me (wife driving) with the DS CAIS on. I left mine for 24 hours in the garage. Then started it, left it idling for 15-20 minutes. Drove for a while off boost then slowly increased speed and boost and all was fine and has been since. Thankfully. The maf drying out idea is a good suggestion but I didn't do that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The MAF sensor is as shown on the photo above, but yours will be bolted to the K&N inlet. Remove the MAF from the K&N and the hose, then take it indoors to dry it out near a heater. Then refit it the SAME way round. Have you got any lights on the dash?
umm not to my knowledge, i'm leaving it til 5pm when i finish work , going to start it and leave it running for an hour or so? my mums partners going to have a look at the maf and take it off, so i dont screw my car up even more !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts