Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im going to be spraying my grills and fog light surrounds and also bottom lip on bumper under grill in gloss black, just bought some halfrauds normal grey primer and just had me thinking, should i be using plastic grey primer on all of these parts? Dont want the finished product to flake in hotter weather when and if we ever have any in the near future? So the question is, normal grey primer or plastic grey primer?
Also would plastic grey primer be ok to spray over my frozen white paint on the lip?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
You'd be best off with plastic primer tbh.

Using the incorrect primer can often lead to a reaction with the plastic.

Make sure you rough all surfaces with a bit of wet nd dry and clean thoroughly before you apply the coloured paint.
Same for the bottom of the bumper. Rough it up and clean it.

I used hycote plastic primer, and hycote gloss black plastic paint on mine. Then I did the silver trims in plastidip for a matt effect.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh just bought some assorted wet and dry. May have to swap the primer over first thing in the morning. Cheers for that.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Yeh just bought some assorted wet and dry. May have to swap the primer over first thing in the morning. Cheers for that.
No worries mate. If you want the trims to be smooth you'd be best off rubbing them down with 1-200 grit as they are textured

Then applying primer, rub down with 8-1200

And paint.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ill give it a go, using my work factory so have all the space and tools to do it, plus the heating will be going on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts