Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys' just joined the forum so hi all

I currently own a 02 st170 3door in black, with this being my second st170.

I need some help, have a problem with her

1. Its only doing 150 miles to a full tank

2. It has almost like a backfire when revving her hard

So far i have replaced the IMRC module with a brand new clip as the EML was on and showing that the flap was stuck open.

Secondly the EML kept comming on again and saying ,engine control module'. So i brought a tested ecu kit and fitted this. The light has not come on but it still has the orginal backfire and using a lot of fuel.

Can anyone please help me what to do next?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not changed the leads but it only backfire when i rev it hard. Im not really bothered about the backfire more conserned about using 150 mile to a tank lol

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I know the leads on zetecs used to be quite common, not really up on the 170. sometimes if you smeared vaseline around the base of each lead it would improve or even clear the problem which was a good way to prove it was the leads,I would be looking here and plugs first..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have a quick look but its not missfiring sounds more like it over fueling and causing a backfire but imdont know whats causing that.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ignition problems will sometimes only show at high revs, such as spark leak from your leads, a plug breaking down or even a coil pack failing... hope you get it sorted mate

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,230 Posts
Your 'backfire' at high revs might be a misfire due to the plugs being sooted up from a rich mixture. If you take a plug out, what colour is it? Pale brown bordering on white, or black?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts