Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

brand new to the forum so firstly thank you for having me join.

I’ve not long owned my 07 plate focus st 225 and I’m stuck with a long starting fault or what I believe to be. It doesn’t matter what time of day got or cold. It takes 10 seconds or so of cranking and it only just manages to start.

there isn’t any oil and coolant mixing and when it’s running it is smooth with no misfires.

could anyone point me in the right direction. Could it be a failing fuel pressure regulator?

many thanks in advance.
Josh

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,199 Posts
Check the engine coolant for exhaust gases (head gasket) and the cranking fuel pressure at the rail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the engine coolant for exhaust gases (head gasket) and the cranking fuel pressure at the rail.
Hi k3fus,

thank you for the reply.
I can do a sniffer test no problem bug I don’t have the first clue about the cranking pressure and if so where the high pressure pump is. Could you shine some light on the tech specs?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,373 Posts
Welcome :)

Sorry to hear you're having issues, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from the kind folk on here.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,671 Posts
Does it make a difference if you make a long pause between switching on the ignition and operating the starter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it make a difference if you make a long pause between switching on the ignition and operating the starter?
Hi Alb
As far as it goes no. It doesn’t. And if after I’ve e let it run for say a minuet then shut off it will start quick directly aftwords but after 15 or so seconds it will be a struggle to start. It’s like the pressure is dying off but when it’s established idle it’s perfect and drives fine

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Pressure in the fuel rail that is

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,671 Posts
It may be a good idea to look at live fuel pressure data using a decent code reader or similar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may be a good idea to look at live fuel pressure data using a decent code reader or similar.
Hi matey. I need the specs for the normal pressure as it was idle at 3.66 bar in the rail, well at least that’s what the scanner was saying. And it didn’t seem to rise or fall at all when reving

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi there thanks for the linked thread, some of the data in this convo relates to what I'm experiencing how ever it is so early on I'm just trying to gather info/ leads in where to start.

i have just done a experiment, first start in over 24 hours and it went like this,( normally i would turn over for 10 seconds give or take)

i cycled the ignition on and off 4 times then i could hear what sounded like fuel bleeding back of into the tank so i tried to start on the 5th turn and it fired up perfectly so I feel atm the pressure is leaking off or not building correctly in the pre ignition phase !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
In my experiences, fuel pumps on the way out show more symptoms when hot and starting/running problems ease off when it's been allowed to stand and cool off. If the car is running fine when the pump is being worked hardest (normal driving with acceleration) then my first line of thought would be that if this is actually fuel related then air is getting into the lines somehow, perhaps the unions on the pump or the union at the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
If it does turn out to be the pressure sensor, cheapest by far is here on ebay:

£33.90 with next day delivery. Seemed too good to be true but I got one and confirm it's completely genuine Bosch even with the Volvo logo embossed on it. Seller has excellent feedback too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In my experiences, fuel pumps on the way out show more symptoms when hot and starting/running problems ease off when it's been allowed to stand and cool off. If the car is running fine when the pump is being worked hardest (normal driving with acceleration) then my first line of thought would be that if this is actually fuel related then air is getting into the lines somehow, perhaps the unions on the pump or the union at the fuel rail.
so as the week has gone by the starting is getting harder to do, im pretty certain that the pump is defiantly on its way up sh*t creek without a paddle! the question i have now is do i just by another standard fuel pump or do i uprate to the higher lph? has anyone here done this before is so how hard a job was it?

ps just want to say thankyou to every one that has helped this far

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ps it has expanded to the harder starting after warm now as well i believe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts