Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had the st on the rollers today at collins performance in congleton. yesterday i had a downpipe and decat fitted and i already have a bluefin unit and a stainless steel exhaust. the rolling road figures show that it is only making 250 ish horse, which is less than expected, but the worrying thing is that they say it has low fuel pressure but dont know why?? any suggestions? one thing to note is that the bluefin ismaking very little difference to power so logic suggests that this is not the problem. cheers.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
No upgrades to the intake or intercooler?

Any idea what the inlet temps were?

With a standard intake & intercooler setup, you'll hit 60C intake temps very quickly (especially on rollers) and at that point the ECU will just hold back the power.

Not sure about the low fuel pressure, unless this is just the ECU's doing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hmmm, if I were a betting man, I'd say that you're down on power either:

a) The intake isn't flowing enough air for the turbo
and
b) The inlet temps are too high, causing the ECU to throttle back

An induction kit will fix a & b, and an uprated intercooler will fix b.

Without seeing inlet temps during a run, and MAF readings as well (g/s), it's not easy to be certain.

EDIT: To give you some backgroun, I was running 270bhp on Bluefin 3+, full exhaust, intercooler and panel filter + ECU spacer. Switching to an induction kit gave me an extra 12bhp as my inlet temps were too high, and that was WITH an intercooler. If you're not running an induction kit or an intercooler, I can quite easily believe that with the limited air flow on a dyno, you'd only get 250bhp.

That's not to say there isn't a fault somewhere, but 250bhp isn't unheard of with your mods.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I'd wonder if it's less straight forward than being held back by intercoler or lack of CAIS, only cos it was done at Collins and with their experience I think they'd spot anything obvious like that.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
QUOTE(boost junkie @ 10 Dec 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ive seen collin's dyno set up and there is proper cooling fans in place.

Proper cooling of the dyno won't help if your cars intercooler and intake aren't up to scratch.

If I was making 270bhp with similar mods, but an uprated intercooler, surely it's not massively out to make 250bhp with the standard intercooler?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
think it was about 206 at the wheels. the set up there does seem pretty good. he said he would expect it to be around 270 with the mods i have plus he hooked it up to the laptop which is where he had the info from to say that it is running with low fuel pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick update, ive been on the phone to pumaspeed who straight away said that it sounds like the fuel pump is on its way out. does this sound plausable? it seems funny that other places didnt seem to have a clue but pumaspeed jumped straight in with an answer?

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
If you bring the car up to us we can test the fuel pressure while it is being driven - Free of charge

To date we have not had to change a fuel pump - however I have heard of the pump pick up gauze mesh filter becoming clogged on your regular Mk2 Focus's

We also have a couple of used ST fuel pressure regulators which we could try to eliminate the fault.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.