Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I know its common and its been done to death but im not comfortable from what i have read so far, For xmas im going to treat myself to a map, Ive narrowed it down to Bluefin and d/s ultra, now bluefin is cheaper and im looking at nothing to silly, stage 1 or a 2 low torque am i right in thinking the stage 2 will be free as well as the 7bug update, quite alot of messing about with this, not really plug and play stright away... summer i will get a cooler and down pipe and that will be it.

Now the d/s is on offer now and works out a couple of hundred more, but its sounds easier and there are more maps and I can sell it on if i wish, plus you get the data logging and other little bits to play with, but the only thing is they seem quite high torque?? I just know with the luck I have i will folk out 500 or 300 quid and not being able to use it because the clutch with slip. On the ultra handset I like the sound of the race plus but it looks like the torque is in the 320lb range? also there is the the performance map and DSCI map, so theres alot to play with but there is no maps where torque is under 300lb just incase my clutch do slip.

I think im waffling now, I just want a nice pokey map like the Race plus with a nice surge, and cooler and down pipe will be fitted in the summer.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I can't comment on the Dreamscience handset.

As for Bluefin, it's not as complicated as you may think.

Stage 1- plug it in, load it and go.

7bug and stage 2, if you have a facelift you will probably already have 7bug. If not its no more difficult than connecting your bluefin handset to the USB port and loading the superchips software.

You call Superchips and they will update your handset via the Internet, it's no more difficult than a couple of phone calls.

My point is, don't be put off bluefin by thinking its complicated, it comes down to how you feel about costs/ value of each.

I used to run bluefin maps and have moved on elsewhere but my car is quite heavily modified.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have bluefin and its very easy plug it into your car load up stage 1 it will also take your car details.. then plig it into your laptop usb connection then connect to bluefin database. if you need software updates they will send it to your handset so then you plug it back in and you will have access to stage 1 2 3 3+ and you can download the low torque maps from the forum =)

Thats how it worked for me i didnt call or email any one. But it does need to be opening hours to get the updates thats if you need them...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seems to be alot more you can do with the ultra but the low torque telling me bluefin, what torque roughly is stage 1 and lt 2?? all the ultra looks 320+

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
There seems to be alot more you can do with the ultra but the low torque telling me bluefin, what torque roughly is stage 1 and lt 2?? all the ultra looks 320+
I don't remember the exact torque figures but I do remember with stage 1 the torque comes in one big lump then drops off where as stage 2 is more progressive so it could be argued with the way stage 1 delivers it is harsher on the standard clutch.

From what I understand the DS unit does have more functions to it, that said if you want to use those you are either going to have to plug it in every time you get in the car or leave it there and risk some scroat thinking its a sat nav and stealing it.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I'm running Dreamscience and love it! Gives me such a grin every time I push the loud pedal! The only downside is (as you've already pointed out) it's quite torquey and can cause clutch issues. I'm having an RS clutch fitted next year, until then I've "de-mapped" to Performance+ (still makes me grin though!). Some people don't have any problems at all with their clutch slipping, but some do, it's a lottery

I'm not using the "Ultra" handset though, I'm using the Dsci package, cheaper than the Ultra! The maps are the same, but obviously you don't have the data logging functions etc (however I seem to recall this can be added if you wish).

This one: http://www.dreamscie...ng-platform.php £395 at the mo!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm running Dreamscience and love it! Gives me such a grin every time I push the loud pedal! The only downside is (as you've already pointed out) it's quite torquey and can cause clutch issues. I'm having an RS clutch fitted next year, until then I've "de-mapped" to Performance+ (still makes me grin though!). Some people don't have any problems at all with their clutch slipping, but some do, it's a lottery

I'm not using the "Ultra" handset though, I'm using the Dsci package, cheaper than the Ultra! The maps are the same, but obviously you don't have the data logging functions etc (however I seem to recall this can be added if you wish).

This one: http://www.dreamscie...£395 at the mo!
On that you get the Race and performance map as well as the +, that would be a better option of maps as i dont want all the Mod B, C

As for the lottery I just know I would get the
stick

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got Bluefin when I brought my ST stage 1 is quite aggressive stage 2 feels smoother, on mine I got turbo back and k&n gen 2 I had mine on the rollers on 24th nov and she made 350 lb ft torque but only 251.4 bhp, I put standard back on the other day and it felt broke lol, its really easy to use the Bluefin plug in and go I keep mine in the car as can immobilize the car with it aswell, quick phone call to superchips and they sent me the 7bug update and stage 1 2 3 and 3+ I downloaded the low torque maps from here takes less than 5 minutes to upload a map to the car after the first time of using it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Even if it does slip, you can still drive around it, just use the revs more.

I was running 400lb ft for 7 months before mine started to slip (and around 340 lb ft for the year previously). I've simply gone to collins stage 1 (around 340lb ft) until I can get the rs clutch. It still slips slightly in higher gears (and low revs) but it's hardly noticeable now.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a shame the ultra dont do the race, race +, performance and performance +.... i dont have a laptop for the DSCI Platform.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've got a DS ultra and its got perf, perf+, race, race+, DSCI and mod c on it. I bought it brand new have they changed which maps come with it?

I've ran DSCI, mod C then mod X over the 2 years I've had the car and my clutch has only stated to slip after I added RS injectors and forge re-circ valve. It's a 56 reg car.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im now thinking one of these, there seem to be some good maps, and if the clutch does slip their lowest torque map is 265lb

there 4 maps to suit standard car i think then 1 that will suit exhaust, cooler and filter

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
the maps Perf, Perf+, Race, Race +, DSCi will all run on a standard car, though adding other mods IE intercooler, catback, sports cat, downpipe, CAIS will make the maps better, once you have the mods listed I would go for one of the mod maps, I'm running ModX on everything listed here: http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/123617-had-the-st-a-year/ i'm still needing a 3" downpipe but got that planned in for 2013.

Out of the 5 standard maps, Perf + was my preferred map, as slightly less boost but held on a stock car.

Daz

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
the thing is none on there have a low torque, so whats putting me off is that i buy it, have the 1st map the lowest and the clutch still slip and it would be a waste of money, where as the puma build they have a 265lb map

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
all high torque though, plus the one above you can sell on if needed none of this
that with the DS one you have to map you car to standard before you sell it

the pumaspeed has a wide very of torque

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
all high torque though, plus the one above you can sell on if needed none of this
that with the DS one you have to map you car to standard before you sell it

the pumaspeed has a wide very of torque
Umm.....

One of the many benefits of the Pumaspeed Focus ST 225 tuning device is that when the stock tune is reinstalled onto the car ,the box becomes free to be used on any other car. Effectivley giving tto the box value to any future purchaser.
You still have to return it to stock before it'll work on another car
Still, I hope you enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts