Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007,mk2,st3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I took my newly acquired MK2 ST3 into my garage and asked them to advise on what they would suggest for me. They know me well so are aware I’m keen to stay low key with subtle mods. Here is what they suggested (any comments welcome):
Font Number Document Screenshot

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,421 Posts
Hello. I took my newly acquired MK2 ST3 into my garage and asked them to advise on what they would suggest for me. They know me well so are aware I’m keen to stay low key with subtle mods. Here is what they suggested (any comments welcome):
View attachment 904546
Are you running that power on the standard intercooler? And do the driveshafts vibrate or anything now ? Also I would budget in a clutch in the near future if their torque figures are correct as it’ll eat a standard clutch fairly quickly 👍

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Also the K&N induction kit is a no no , I ran one and I had a flat spot , lots of people said the same , if I were you I would read various threads regarding
Re maps ( Dreamscience, Collins , Revo , Sabre )
Exhausts ,
CAIS ( Cold Air Induction Kits ) or RS Airbox conversion ,
Standard OEM Driveshafts ( Only if needed ) ,
Intercooler ,
Heat shields ( Something you can possibly do yourself ) ,
Valet ( yourself )
There’s lots of second hand parts on EBay and there’s threads on here on it all .
Any questions just ask , someone will have the answer 👍👍

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Here's my thoughts-

Driveshafts - worth getting done if the existing parts have vibrations and/or play. Only have genuine Ford/Volvo (GKN) fitted, a pair of refurbs is likely to cost £500 if they can be sourced.

Heatshields - again, they are likely to be rotting out now around the fittings and will be noisy when rattling. This can be fixed with some large M5 washers and M5 nyloc nuts on the old studs. Even if the studs are rusted this should still work for at least a few more years.

Rear wiper blade - not sure if this means some donut previous owner removed the whole arm, or just needs a new blade because old is perished. Get it done regardless.

Exhaust - if standard is in good condition I'd pass on this to be honest unless you really want the noise.

K&N - don't bother, ****.

Viezu tune - never heard of it. For the quoted 50bhp you can get a used Dreamscience handheld for less than £200 which will achieve that.

Valet - absolutely.

As said, don't consider any performance mods until the intercooler has been upgraded.

·
Registered
2007,mk2,st3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. This is great insight. The driveshafts are in desperate need so will definitely get them done. Good call on the intercooler that’s not something I would have known to think about. I will probably get the driveshafts, exhaust, heat shield done but as you guys suggest I will do some due diligence around the engine upgrade options and probably ask some more questions. To be fair to my garage they know I’m not going to be driving hard and I am a bit nervous about power upgrades, there are some horror stories out there. Thanks again guys your help is invaluable.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
If your not to bothered about power then stick with the stock map. I personally liked the way the st delivers its power as standard it's like it would pull then once you get to about 4k it starts to pull even more. A basic stage 1 map might end up costing a fortune if your clutch starts to slip. This was my worry and I was planning to go with collins performance however I went along to sitec racing and they do a nexus stage 1 map which is 300/300. My clutch will slip ever so slightly if I do a pull in 6th however I always drop it back 1 or 2 gears. When I got the map Simon explained he's limited to torque so that it saves both the clutch and reduces the risk of cracking the liners. From what I gather it's the torque that's the killer on these engines. Well that and I'm guessing copious amounts of heat if you were to take it on track or something.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
as for the choice of exhaust. I think a scorpion resonated exhaust will be kinda quiet. You'd be as well keeping your standard exhaust on the car and maybe just get a deres pipe for £20. Sounds really good for what it costs. Unless your exhaust is rotten and needs to come off

·
Registered
2007,mk2,st3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
👍🏻 Plenty for me to think about 👍🏻
im currently just praying a neighbours trampoline doesn’t come flying over the fence and kill my ST. Absolutely mad winds here. Fences and trees down everywhere 😬

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,709 Posts
As a few people have mentioned:

Remap - Collins are well recommended as plug & play.
Intercooler - definitely if doing any remap
Clutch - if you are still on the original then again almost definitely & go the little extra to go RS to future proof things. Note any DS map will definitely eat your standard clutch!
Exhaust - any good stainless. It just depends on how much noise and/or drone you want to live with if you go too mad!
Decat - possibly. Just be aware of MOT issues.
Intake - a good CAIS is worth it. Open cones & similar on these cars can be very hit & miss.
Driveshafts - stick with OEM or refurbished OEM ones. I haven't seen any aftermarket ones be any good.
Suspension - if you are still original then a refresh of all bushings & rubbers is almost a given. Hardrace are a good fit & forget upgrade. Possibly lower/stiffer springs & shocks is a good upgrade.
Brakes - again a good service & swap of brake lines/fluids. Ford OEM discs & calipers are good for even moderate power upgrades if you add some decent EBC pads or similar.
Heat shields - just take them off as they will continue to dissolve more & more & fall to bits anyway! My car ran fine for many years without them!
Engine mounts upper & lower & rear/gearbox - again if still original these will likely be well worn. Again Hardrace do good fit & forget replacements.
Engine hoses - if original then a good check over as most will now be showing their age & a boost leak will be a nuisance! If you do a power upgrade silicone hoses will be a good option.

Above all - enjoy the car!!!

·
Registered
2007,mk2,st3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your advice. My list of things to do is now well populated, but being able to prioritise based on you guys giving me your wisdom is invaluable. Just gotta dig my ST out of the snow now!
Thanks again 👍🏻🥶

·
Registered
2007,mk2,st3
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello. That’s not been mentioned yet, so it’s going on the list 👍🏻 I think I’m gonna be asking for lottery tickets this Christmas 🤞🏻

1 - 16 of 16 Posts