Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon boys and girls!

I Currently drive a 306 GTI-6 which i adore but i feel the time has come for something resembling a more grown up car... my girlfriend would love me to get an Audi but seeing im not quite that old yet
and as i have always had a love for a fast Ford (ive wanted a cosworth since about the age of 5) im pretty certain I'm settling for the ST as my new grown up hot hatch

I test drove the car with the spec im after at a dealers last week and all can say is that i was seriously impressed!! For a 10 year old car the 306 is very good, but thats the thing. Its 10 now. The focus was in a another league in almost every way, it did feel slightly heavier but then again it weighs a lot more so would do! But i thought the car was amazingly sure footed, the quality compared to the French rattle box was lightyears ahead and it was certainly quick
Very different to a N/A car but i liked it, the torque they put out is amazing! Its over 100 lb/ft more pulling power and 45 bhp more than my pug , even with the tweaks i've made. I cant wait to get hold of one properly!

I have a question though, im looking for a facelift ST-3 in performance blue, i dont mind a bit of mileage but would like one with 1 owner (obviously not included with the price
) and between 10-15k on it. How much do you lot think i will be paying for one? I would like to think i could pick something up for around the £14,000 mark but is that being un realistic? Im prepared to wait for the right one.

Great forum by the way, ive been skulking about for a while and there is plenty of info, even on the non owner areas

John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
to the
forum John with a budget of £14.000 you will able to get a excellent example i suggest you look on this forum and pistonheads

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
welcome mate. gti 6 are one sweet handling car.
you will seriously enjoy your

be wary of the fuel bills though mate.
your pug is prob like a diesel compared to the focus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(stingy @ 9 Feb 2010, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>welcome mate. gti 6 are one sweet handling car.
you will seriously enjoy your

be wary of the fuel bills though mate.
your pug is prob like a diesel compared to the focus.

The GTI-6 is a seriously good car and to be honest will embarass a lot of newer stuff, especially where going round the twisty stuff is concerend.... but If the test drive on the Focus is anything to go by then im sure its going to be every bit as good as im hoping

I rekon that i get around 25 mpg out of the GTI-6 with shall we say mixed driving
do you think the ST will be much different to that?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I rekon that i get around 25 mpg out of the GTI-6 with shall we say mixed driving do you think the ST will be much different to that?

you,ll get roughly the same ,depends how much you like the noise from the back end of the ST.

re your price : i picked up a silver 58 plate on a 2009 model for 15,900 from a dealer with only 2093 miles so you should get what you want

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(cbred @ 9 Feb 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you,ll get roughly the same ,depends how much you like the noise from the back end of the ST.

re your price : i picked up a silver 58 plate on a 2009 model for 15,900 from a dealer with only 2093 miles so you should get what you want

Well, i would get more out of the 6 if i didnt like the induction roar so much when you engage the loud pedal
Ive been looking round and prices vary so much but if i hang on its looking like il get one, ive seen them as dear as nearly £18,000
and as cheap as 14,250 so far so there will be smoething im sure...

Thanks for the replies

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(walker_texasranger @ 9 Feb 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, i would get more out of the 6 if i didnt like the induction roar so much when you engage the loud pedal
Ive been looking round and prices vary so much but if i hang on its looking like il get one, ive seen them as dear as nearly £18,000
and as cheap as 14,250 so far so there will be smoething im sure...

Thanks for the replies

mines only showing 17mpg doing stop and start town driving.
with some sprinting between the lights!

·
Registered
293 Posts
23 mpg on mine and i aint been hanging around .

i really dont take much notice of it tho . fill up and check how many miles on trip . Then smile and grin like a little kid .

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I had had a few sporting pugs, and you have the last good one in my opinion

I had a Mi16 (2.0) giving about 180bhp for about 5 years, I used to get about the same MPG out of it but in the ST, doing similar style driving, I am lucky to get 20mpg but don't let this put you off.

If I were you and you could afford it, I woudl keep the GTI for miles and run the ST for fun, in a couple of years you will yearn for a NA drivers car where you have to drive it to get the most out if not just press a pedal and go, trust me 9also it will be a future classic like the 205, 309 & Mi16

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 9 Feb 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had had a few sporting pugs, and you have the last good one in my opinion

I had a Mi16 (2.0) giving about 180bhp for about 5 years, I used to get about the same MPG out of it but in the ST, doing similar style driving, I am lucky to get 20mpg but don't let this put you off.

If I were you and you could afford it, I woudl keep the GTI for miles and run the ST for fun, in a couple of years you will yearn for a NA drivers car where you have to drive it to get the most out if not just press a pedal and go, trust me 9also it will be a future classic like the 205, 309 & Mi16

Im going to be very reluctant to let it go to be honest but i fancy a change, mines is (and im not just saying this) probably the best one ive seen. Firstly because i have spent a serious amount of cash on it in the last 18 months and secondly because i looked at that many before i picked one (i went from Sheffield to bournemouth for this one) The thing about the GTI-6 is that you have to keep it on cam to get the best out of it, mine isnt quite standard either. I have had a set of fast road cams fitted ( Kent PT80's) and had them dialled in by wayne schofield of Chipwizards in Rochdale, it made 180bhp and 160lb/ft of torque on his rollers. I have had a billet steel flywheel and lightened bottom pulley fitted too which make kit very rev happy. It pulls well up to 4000 rpm and after that all hell breaks loose, right up to the limiter at 7300 RPM. A couple of my friends have got Clio 182 cups and they prefer the way mine drives to the clio's.

That was the main thing i noticed about the focus though, you have massive torque available at very low revs compared to the pug. It just wanted to pull all the time. I thought that the Focus was a lot more solid too, i would be very interested to take one down a good B road and throw it about a bit because thats driving for me, not how fast it is in a straight line. I did put it round a few round abouts at a good pace on the test drive though and was well impressed.

I test drove an Audi S3 too but i thought they were very front end heavy in comparison, and i didnt think i was getting a lot more car for an extra 6 grand to be honest

Went to look at a Megan R26 too, i disregarded that though because a) i cant be dealing with the bottom and b) the boot is tiny and thats a serious requirement at the moment, which the focus fulfills. I couldnt believe how much room there was in the back, especially with the seats down!!

I think you will be getting another owner memeber very shortly

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had a 16v 306 XSi with GTi6 cams, GTi6 exhaust manifold, BMC CDA, unichip and custom exhaust.

I know it was not a 6 but I missed the pug from the day and hour I got rid until the ST came along.

Still would have a 6 as a second car though, never driven one, but I do find myself looking at Autotrader every now and again. Oh to have a few spare grand.............

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
QUOTE(walker_texasranger @ 9 Feb 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good afternoon boys and girls!

I Currently drive a 306 GTI-6 which i adore but i feel the time has come for something resembling a more grown up car... my girlfriend would love me to get an Audi but seeing im not quite that old yet
and as i have always had a love for a fast Ford (ive wanted a cosworth since about the age of 5) im pretty certain I'm settling for the ST as my new grown up hot hatch

I test drove the car with the spec im after at a dealers last week and all can say is that i was seriously impressed!! For a 10 year old car the 306 is very good, but thats the thing. Its 10 now. The focus was in a another league in almost every way, it did feel slightly heavier but then again it weighs a lot more so would do! But i thought the car was amazingly sure footed, the quality compared to the French rattle box was lightyears ahead and it was certainly quick
Very different to a N/A car but i liked it, the torque they put out is amazing! Its over 100 lb/ft more pulling power and 45 bhp more than my pug , even with the tweaks i've made. I cant wait to get hold of one properly!

I have a question though, im looking for a facelift ST-3 in performance blue, i dont mind a bit of mileage but would like one with 1 owner (obviously not included with the price
) and between 10-15k on it. How much do you lot think i will be paying for one? I would like to think i could pick something up for around the £14,000 mark but is that being un realistic? Im prepared to wait for the right one.

Great forum by the way, ive been skulking about for a while and there is plenty of info, even on the non owner areas

John

Hi there, I have just bought a Performance Blue ST3 09plate with 7000 miles for 17,850 ford direct car and there is not a mark on it, feels and looks brand new!! it also has privacy glass and PDC which I believe is optional extra. Beware if you get an older facelift model you may not get the DAB radio though as I think that came along a bit later.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(walker_texasranger @ 9 Feb 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im going to be very reluctant to let it go to be honest but i fancy a change, mines is (and im not just saying this) probably the best one ive seen. Firstly because i have spent a serious amount of cash on it in the last 18 months and secondly because i looked at that many before i picked one (i went from Sheffield to bournemouth for this one) The thing about the GTI-6 is that you have to keep it on cam to get the best out of it, mine isnt quite standard either. I have had a set of fast road cams fitted ( Kent PT80's) and had them dialled in by wayne schofield of Chipwizards in Rochdale, it made 180bhp and 160lb/ft of torque on his rollers. I have had a billet steel flywheel and lightened bottom pulley fitted too which make kit very rev happy. It pulls well up to 4000 rpm and after that all hell breaks loose, right up to the limiter at 7300 RPM. A couple of my friends have got Clio 182 cups and they prefer the way mine drives to the clio's.

That was the main thing i noticed about the focus though, you have massive torque available at very low revs compared to the pug. It just wanted to pull all the time. I thought that the Focus was a lot more solid too, i would be very interested to take one down a good B road and throw it about a bit because thats driving for me, not how fast it is in a straight line. I did put it round a few round abouts at a good pace on the test drive though and was well impressed.

I test drove an Audi S3 too but i thought they were very front end heavy in comparison, and i didnt think i was getting a lot more car for an extra 6 grand to be honest

Went to look at a Megan R26 too, i disregarded that though because a) i cant be dealing with the bottom and b) the boot is tiny and thats a serious requirement at the moment, which the focus fulfills. I couldnt believe how much room there was in the back, especially with the seats down!!

I think you will be getting another owner memeber very shortly

Just re read that and it makes me sound a bit arrogant! Im not, i just love my car
and i can get a bit carried away sometimes

Thanks for all the replies, i was anticipating the thirst to be honest but at the end of the day, if your going to be watching the petrol gauge then you dont get something that has any grunt do you? Ive burnt 18000 miles worth of V power in the pug over the last 2 years so im not unduly worried. Bring it on!

Another question, what do most people get out of a set of Tyres? Im used to around 10-12k from a set of fronts.....

John

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(walker_texasranger @ 11 Feb 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another question, what do most people get out of a set of Tyres? Im used to around 10-12k from a set of fronts.....

John

Mine was brand new in March, 11k miles later just replaced the fronts, the rears are good for a while yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts