Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the ST have heated washer jets, and if so, how do you turn them on? My old Corrado had them, they went on as soon as you activated the rear window heater, but theres nothing in the
owners manual about them..

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I've heard plenty said about the mirrors being heated and being activated by the rear window heater yet there seems to be nothing in the manual about that either.

Though if you look at the actual jets under the bonnet you will see there is only one signal wire going to them and there doesn't seem to be anything that looks like a heating element. So unless the water is heated in some way between the bottle and the jets....?

Not entirely sure to be honest, but I think it is unlikely. Which is unfortunate as the ST seems to constantly surprise with it's little unexpected pleasures!

·
Registered
62 Posts
could be wrong here, but I thought that the ST does have heated jets. the main purpose is to stop water freezing on contact with the windscreen.

most times when the jets are frozen, it's not the stuff in the tank, but snow/rain that's frozen on the jets themselves. don't think the heaters will shift that. (probably need to wait for the engines heat to do that)

as stingy says, I believe they're turned on with the heated front screen. the mirrors are heated and on at the same time as the rear screen.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(admire that @ 21 Dec 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where are you getting the info from that the washer jets ARE heated?

If it doesn't say it in the manual, then how do you know they are?
Well my ST has wires going to the washer jets under the bonnet so that's a clue

The heating element is built into the back of the washer jet, obviously it's only small. Infact the washer jets have the same sized body as non-heated ones, just these have an empty cavity where the heater element would usually go

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The
washer jets themselves are heated.

But the problem is other than the jets they are not heated anywhere else on the system. From the reservoir all through the pipes can still freeze til they reach the jet hence the reason that as the engine warms up the pipes defrost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 21 Dec 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does the ST have heated washer jets, and if so, how do you turn them on? My old Corrado had them, they went on as soon as you activated the rear window heater, but theres nothing in the
owners manual about them..

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, Danny
here mate just to let you know i am on second st3 and when i looked in the manual it said the the car has heated washer jets on the car it works on the heated front windscreen,If the temp is past -5 it will freeze up and also when the car is moving you have the front windscreen heater on all the time,also wing mirrors aer heated as well that comes on with the rear window heater all this can be found in the owners manual hope this helps mate
DANNY

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep same here and it was only -2.... I even cleared out the jet nozzles with a pin before leaving home thinking that was the problem but no... And I know the washer fluid isnt frozen as the headlight washer work a treat.... Problem is with the heated screen, if you have it on too much, it drys the salty road spray to a horrible white mess, and wit hteh washers frozen you cant get rid of it!!! The only thing I dont like about my

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
Mine were great until about a mile from work ... was very annoyed till i parked and found out a lump of ice had formed on the bonnet outside the jets ... the jets were still working but couldnt get to the screen around the obstacle.

If you have had the car parked outside over night the chances are there has been a lot of ice formed in much of the pipes which in turn takes ages to defrost.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I can tell my washers do heat up cos I did a short trip tonight and there were 2 defrosted patches on my bonnet where the washer jets are. I didn't try to see if the jets worked cos we don't seem to have a problem with needing to wash salt spray off the windscreen driving round here

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 23 Dec 2009, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can tell my washers do heat up cos I did a short trip tonight and there were 2 defrosted patches on my bonnet where the washer jets are. I didn't try to see if the jets worked cos we don't seem to have a problem with needing to wash salt spray off the windscreen driving round here

Mine work fine in minus 1-2 c. It annoys me though how much fluid is wasted when you have your headlights on, why does ford set the headlight washers to come on every time? I get through gallons of the stuff.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Checking the handbook off the web it actually says QUOTEOn some models, to prevent the washer fluid reservoir from becoming empty too quickly the headlamp washer will not be activated with every press of the button. For a period of 10 minutes after activation the washer will only be activated again with every 4th press of the button
I know mine doesn't operate every time I use the screenwash, I don't know if maybe still having the heated screen or something switched on changes the conditions or how Ford have decided which models do and don't work like this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.