Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

I need to get a new headlight washer sprayed PB and was wondering if anybody has had to do the same as well as the cost incurred. Im in the Lincolnshire area but any info would help.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,381 Posts
When I was looking into this last year, the parts bloke said that EO was the only colour you could not buy off the shelf. I got the impression that all other colours you could buy the washer caps already colour coded.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I can see a bodyshop charging a minimum because they are having to buy the paint in (say at least £50), unless they have done some more
of the same colour or would do it with a can for you.

I am in the process of doing mine as one has stone chips and the other is flakeing away. Its not as if I could make
them look that much worse!!

I rubbed them down last night and they are currently dried in plastic primer. I will post some pics when I finish them and maybe do a bit of a howto if it works out ok. It shouldnt be difficult as they are very small and pop off quite easy.

It will take a bit longer as its a few light coats of primer then 24hours ish, then basecoat and 24 hours, then lacquer. Have already photo'ed each stage so far.

using PBlack from Halfords

Mrs. is not too happy about the kitchen becoming a bodyshop last night though

When I was looking into this last year, the parts bloke said that EO was the only colour you could not buy off the shelf. I got the impression that all other colours you could buy the washer caps already colour coded.
There are places that will make up a can for you though, have you tried ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can see a bodyshop charging a minimum because they are having to buy the paint in (say at least £50), unless they have done some more
of the same colour or would do it with a can for you.
I don't think they have to buy the paint in, don't they just mix the colour based on the paint code?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't think they have to buy the paint in, don't they just mix the colour based on the paint code?
Really not sure how they do it. If they could mix it from stock colours then it would be easy enough.

I have bought paint that is mixed and they normally have minimum amounts (say 1 litre of paint plus thinners) but that was from a paint place not a bodyshop.

Depends if they could do it inhouse I guess
or its just an excuse to charge more

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really not sure how they do it. If they could mix it from stock colours then it would be easy enough.

I have bought paint that is mixed and they normally have minimum amounts (say 1 litre of paint plus thinners) but that was from a paint place not a bodyshop.

Depends if they could do it inhouse I guess
or its just an excuse to charge more
If you send me a PM I'll reply with my address, Mail it to me with return postage covered and I'll spray it for you at work as I work in a bodyshop.
5min job.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you send me a PM I'll reply with my address, Mail it to me with return postage covered and I'll spray it for you at work as I work in a bodyshop.
5min job.
If this is directed at me, im ok as mine are coming along ok with the Acrylic stuff you get in cans. I will post some pics up later. Takes ages to dry with Acrylic though.

Awesome offer though
thanks. As you work in bodyshop (a cool job I would of thought?
) do you mix all your own colours?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Funnily enough, I have the near side one repainted in perf blue yesterday.

£20 and included them mixing up some paint, prep, spraying and lacquering. They gave me the left over paint for nothing to use for touch ups.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If this is directed at me, im ok as mine are coming along ok with the Acrylic stuff you get in cans. I will post some pics up later. Takes ages to dry with Acrylic though.

Awesome offer though
thanks. As you work in bodyshop (a cool job I would of thought?
) do you mix all your own colours?
Ok, no problem, Good luck with the cans!!

Yes, we can mix up any colour in house, very handy!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok heres a bit of a guide, might be of some help

Here are my originals, if you are wondering how to get them off then they just click off with a bit of persuasion. They are clicked on, at least on a pre-facelift 2007 Focus anyway.

Sorry if the pics are a bit blurred (and a bit big if you click) , Here is one of my originals (what a mess!) ..

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Rubbed them down with some P180 wet and dry (quite coarse but not pressed too hard). Most of the paint was removed but it all seemed smooth in the end, not too difficult with a piece of plastic.

Then I dryed them off and gave them a 3 light coats of plastic primer, waiting 15mins between coats. You can see any faults when doing this, let them dry for a bit first,

As you can see lifted them off the newspaper so the paint wouldnt run off and bridge onto the newspaper. Used some toy cups I found hanging around!! May get abuse for using them though

I had a slight ident on one of mine and as you can see filled it with some stopper/putty and sanded down once again and ended up with a tiny piece of filler left (also some water in that pic is not a paint bubble).
After sanding and dryed off then re-primed and left overnight.

Go easy on the coats you can get runs, paint at around 20-30 cms away and blast the can as you go past in a left to right motion.
Hard to explain practice is best for this!

You can always rub it down after letting it dry if it all goes wrong!

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
After 24 hours gave them a light rub down with P1000 (obviously you dont want to go back through to the plastic!).
Dryed them off and a painted them.

Gave them 3 coats with 15 mins between. Got a tiny tiny bit of dust in there at one stage but it was hardly noticeable especially after lacquer!

Once again emphasis to do light coats. You can always do another coat again if you can see some primer etc.

Next stage in 24 hours is too do a light rub down with P1000 (or P1200 etc.) to achieve a matt finish. Then clear lacquer up and should be able to put them back on on thur/fri!!

Also pictured - Stuff used so fars.. (plus newspaper, footie results etc.!)

Guess most prob wont need putty

Results are really superb and ive spent less than a tenner (not including the putty)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.