Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving with auto headlight other night and noticed the drivers headlight was out so went out next day to replace the bulb. Later on that day noticed bulb out again so swapped bulb to passenger side, tried again drivers bulb out. After a few times out in the car the bulb will go out after a few mins. But the passenger side stays on and this only happens when auto light on. Ive been using standard turn on manually light for a while then happen to put on auto all is fine work ok . Goes out in it last night and five mins down the road drivers light out and have to pull up turn car off light off and start car again with headlights on manual to make it work .
I have look through the threads but couldnt find anyone with this problem if any one has any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
13,317 Posts
You've done the sensible thing by swapping bulbs, I assume these are halogens by the sounds of it. If they're xenons you could try swapping the ballasts over as well. Other than that sounds like some sort of issue with either the wiring or the auto lights system which will need a dealer to look at probably.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has xenon bulbs I’ve thought about the ballast but they work on manual With no problems so it could be a trip to dealer can’t see that being cheap

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
As Sean says, try switching the ballasts over before you do anything else. It's amazing the problems it can solve! My drivers side bulb went on my old focus (2012 titanium X), bought a bulb...didn't cure it...switched the ballasts side to side and problem solved.... very bizarre!

Still have the unused osram bulb lol.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Did this solve the problem long term ? Iv got the same problem at the moment.☹
It did on my old car Col, and wasn't a difficult job..ballast were on the underside of the headlamp unit on the PFL, I'm assuming in the same place on the FL.. it's worth a go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It did on my old car Col, and wasn't a difficult job..ballast were on the underside of the headlamp unit on the PFL, I'm assuming in the same place on the FL.. it's worth a go!
Thanks gbgaz! Just had I look and the ballast are under the headlight, looks like it's a torx socket tho☹Do you have any clue what size?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Thanks gbgaz! Just had I look and the ballast are under the headlight, looks like it's a torx socket tho☹Do you have any clue what size?
I honestly cant remember mate! its a couple of years ago at least since i did them...im guessing T20 but could be wrong....

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well swapping the ballast worked for 10 month then it desired to do the same again and same side . So swapped the ballast worked for 2 weeks then went off again yesterday so am thinking it could be something to do with the dampness as only have problem in the damp months . Maybe a seal on the electrical connector

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,452 Posts
Points more to a connector problem.

Have you seen any evidence of corrosion?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The joy of headlights. Not had chance to look at it due to it being dark when get home, so thought would look later today hoping weather be better . Been out in the car today with auto lights on just parked up in car park after 40 min drive and headlights are still on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,I have the same problem with drivers side headlight. Seams to go off once warmed up.
Where exactly do I find the ballast,any help would be great as don't really want to have to buy a new headlight thanks

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
The ballasts are under the headlight so they need to come out to access them. However the general consensus seems to be electrical connector/loose wires rather than the ballasts themselves? Check your connectors, wires & earths are tight & there is no moisture around first before assuming the worst and buying lots of expensive parts as per earlier in the thread. The headlights on these cars seem to be very prone to moisture either inside them or in the wiring & connectors!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well think I've sorted mine put couple of new bulbs in and took all connectors out of drivers side and sprayed with electrical cleaner , all put back together and all seems good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts