Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my first Winter with my ST, so I'm still learning. This just might save you some inconvenience, and varying amount of cash.

I've been off work since Thursday of last week, so not had to use the car much. I've kept the snow off of the windows, lights, front grills and number plates. There has been some thawing and freezing over the last couple of days, and most of the now frozen snow has been falling off of the car.

This morning I was back at work, so started up and switched all of the screen heaters on and went to scrape the frost from the headlights. The drivers side headlamp washer cover was gone! The snow on top of the bumper must have fallen off and took it with it. I guess the thaw/freeze/thaw must have allowed ice to form under the cover and when the bigger piece fell off it took the cover with it.

Moral - keep snow off of the top of the bumper too.

Now some good news. The replacement colour coded covers are only £4.50. Bad news for us EO owners is that we have to buy covers in primer and get them sprayed. Minimum paint order - one litre - about £40. then there is the cost of spraying.

Ouch.

Thought about going for black, at £9 for two, but I reckon they will look s***e.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Surely the covers just on the floor somewhere near the car? :S
I actually have a spare cover in EO for the driver's side but it's an EXTREMELY dodgy repair job and touch up that I have since have properly replaced. It's also got half the plasticy bit super glued to the back but if you get really desperate I'm sure I can spare it for ya

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
I would think the washer cover froze stuck open, then the weight of the snow knocked it off, maybe ? Never had any problems with snow removing the covers in four years?

They are very easy to refit, if you can't find it sounds like someone may have pulled it off.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 23 Dec 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely the covers just on the floor somewhere near the car? :S
I actually have a spare cover in EO for the driver's side but it's an EXTREMELY dodgy repair job and touch up that I have since have properly replaced. It's also got half the plasticy bit super glued to the back but if you get really desperate I'm sure I can spare it for ya

Yes - I'm sure it is. Problem is that the car has been driven for about 50 miles and it could have dropped off anywhere. Not used the washers with the lights on either, so they have not frozen open.

Sky Ford at Hemel Hempstead quoted me the price.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 23 Dec 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes - I'm sure it is. Problem is that the car has been driven for about 50 miles and it could have dropped off anywhere. Not used the washers with the lights on either, so they have not frozen open.

Sky Ford at Hemel Hempstead quoted me the price.

Ahh, it's been driven. That sucks then

I drove mine for the best part of 6 months without a cover as it seemed a pointless expense to get it done by itself. When someone kindl modified my bonnet for me and broke a wing mirror cover I decided it was time to get all the various ailments fixed.

Bumper looks weird with a hole in it doesn't it

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,253 Posts
Hey guys - a happy ending. When the snow melted guess what I found on the front garden? Must have fallen off before I drove it when the snow came off the bonnet and I did not notice it when I cleared the drive.

Not all good news though - my alternator packed up this morning

The Lord giveth - the Lord taketh away............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.