Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!

My head Gasket has blown after just 34000 miles, up at EMG they found a crack in the engine that they think was there from new!!! (Funnily enough the Mountune kit actually saved my rear end because the extra pressure made it blow quicker through the gaping hole, it's out of warrenty in 4 months!!) I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

Cheers
Dazza

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(Dazza123 @ 15 Nov 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey all!!

My head Gasket has blown after just 34000 miles, up at EMG they found a crack in the engine that they think was there from new!!! (Funnily enough the Mountune kit actually saved my rear end because the extra pressure made it blow quicker through the gaping hole, it's out of warrenty in 4 months!!) I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

Cheers
Dazza

There have been a few now with cracked liners, some on cars with very low millage. It seems like a week point in some engines, as it has effected standard cars too.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts

Cheers
Dazza

Sorry to hear about your problems but at least its getting sorted under warranty! The garage are talking out of their **** though! Theres no way the crack could possibly have been there from new! A cracked liner would allow leak even if you didnt have the turbo! Cylinder pressures even in a N/A engine are huge! The crack would have appeared very recently! It seems to be not a common problem exactly but one that has surfaced a few times!(about 14 cars now?) What is interesting is that this is the first Mountuned car that its happened to! Ill be very interested to hear the excuses they come out with! I seem to remember someone from MT posting on here that things like this could NEVER EVER happen using their kit!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
regardless of the tuner, this has happended to STANDARD cars so i wouldn't even look at the being the reason.

The reason is the head gaskets and the cylinder liners are POO! when the head gasket fails it normally takes out a liner at the same time, or at least in 99% of cases i have seen if the head gasket has failed it normally takes out a liner at the same time!

I really would'nt want to start saying this is down to it being tuned as, like i said, i know this has affected standard cars and cars from ALL other tuners!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, Mountune had nothing to do with the crack or the head gasket blowing. In fact the Mountune parts are being more reliable than the rest of the car!! Lol. But I would be quite glad if it made it happen now rather than in 5 months time after the warranty has run out!!

That garage havn't lead me astray yet, they've always been completely honest about everything and they've always made up for it if they've made a mistake but i must say i did find it a little weird when they said "probably been like it since new" because thats near on impossible and i think it would have blown before now. I knew it was a low number but i didn't realise it was only 14!!

Turns out that the new engine is only covered untill the end of the original 3 year warranty of the car but on the plus side the 2 year and 8 month old ST is getting a freash batch of horses which has to be a good thing!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi i think i may have the same problem i was telling a garage about some white smoke coming from the exhaust when started from cold and a slight hesitation when accelerating and they suggested a cracked liner and therefore new engine !
He said he would need to investigate further to say whether it is or not, was just wondering roughly how much it wud cost to take it to pieces to see if it is cracked or not ? Oh driveshaft is worn too, looks like tis gonna be expensive !

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Typical warning signs of a cracked liner are:

Occasional misfire on start-up that takes a fair few seconds to clear, usually after the car has been sat unused for a few hours
Pressure in the coolant tank even when the system is stone cold - you remove the cap, air escapes and the coolant level rises
Coolant level dropping fairly quickly through normal use.
Plug on the affected cylinder looking biscuit brown with no coke on the end of threads, rest of plugs nice dull grey.
Top of piston in affected cylinder looking wet and sh!tty compared to brown colour of the rest. Cylinder #4 counting from cam belt end seems to be a popular one.

In some cases when this has happened the owner doesn't notice anything till the car runs seriously low on coolant, causing overheating probs and the heater system to go haywire.

To confirm for sure the cylinder head needs to come off, fair few hours labour there to get that done.

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
Mountune will have a problem dealing with the fallout from this failure, but I believe that Dazza bought this car second hand with a good few thousand miles on it recorded by the first owner.

Now we all know that some other owners with failed engines have in the past just removed the offending aftermarket software and bluffed Uncle Henry's unsuspecting dealers into divying up for a new engine under Warranty.

It is not unlikely that this weakness was caused by some similarly removed software that caused a weakness in the first owner's hands.

Maybe if Dazza posts up the details of the original owner from the logbook a bit of detective work will bring something to light.

Whats the betting that Mountune/Ford may decline to offer their Warranty on future installations in used vehicles.

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 16 Nov 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not unlikely that this weakness was caused by some similarly removed software that caused a weakness in the first owner's hands.

Not meaning to
on your fireorks Don but unfortunately this has happened to at least 1 totally standard car too! This kinda suggests an inherant problem with the liners rather than a mapping issue! Nobody is blaming mapping for this although it does seem to become an increased risk when a bigger turbo is fitted!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 16 Nov 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Typical warning signs of a cracked liner are:

Occasional misfire on start-up that takes a fair few seconds to clear, usually after the car has been sat unused for a few hours
Pressure in the coolant tank even when the system is stone cold - you remove the cap, air escapes and the coolant level rises
Coolant level dropping fairly quickly through normal use.
Plug on the affected cylinder looking biscuit brown with no coke on the end of threads, rest of plugs nice dull grey.
Top of piston in affected cylinder looking wet and sh!tty compared to brown colour of the rest. Cylinder #4 counting from cam belt end seems to be a popular one.

In some cases when this has happened the owner doesn't notice anything till the car runs seriously low on coolant, causing overheating probs and the heater system to go haywire.

To confirm for sure the cylinder head needs to come off, fair few hours labour there to get that done.
Thanks for that will investigate, but from what you say i dont appear to have any of them ? could it be spark plugs or MAF sensor ? Im booked in to a garage to run some tests to see if it is or not plus ive got a ******* driveshaft and need new one. Apparently some rubber has split and leaked grease which has caused it to wear but i havnt noticed any strange noise or behaviour ? Hopefully should be sorted tommorow and wont cost a fortune !

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts

Cheers
Dazza

Hi Dazza - sorry to hear you news
Your is one of the 1st we have heard off with the Mountune kit fitted.

We are lead to belive that the latest production engines are manufactured to a improved standard to eliminate this fault - however we have been unable to verfy this fact as the system part numbers fo the engines are the same.

We are aware of a handful of standard cars older cars which have developed this problem - however it is normally the cars that are 'pushing the envelope' that suffer this problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like i said Don, i don't think Mountune have got anything to do with it thus have nothing to answer for. If wolf and code red can put 330 BHP through that same block and not have any problems then i don't think you can blame the tuning company who hardly change anything to get 260.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Got her back today. After all the worry with the warranty, not only did they pay for the whole lot but for some reason they sent a new clutch and new fly wheel so in a nearly 3 year old car i've got 3 brand new parts for free so you could almost say this was a good thing in a strange way. Its so smooth and nice to drive. And because they had to take off the whole front end, wheels, steering, the works everything is taught again. Thanks for everyones input on this. I hope people don't get the same problem, especially out of warranty!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(chrisyalex @ 16 Nov 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi i think i may have the same problem i was telling a garage about some white smoke coming from the exhaust when started from cold and a slight hesitation when accelerating and they suggested a cracked liner and therefore new engine !
He said he would need to investigate further to say whether it is or not, was just wondering roughly how much it wud cost to take it to pieces to see if it is cracked or not ? Oh driveshaft is worn too, looks like tis gonna be expensive !

Its usually between 60 and 90 pounds to diagnose, maybe a little more at a bigger garage. I wouldn't think you have the same problem mate, its one of them things, it's very rare.
If you're getting steam then it could be something very minor with the coolant, maybe a leak. However if you're getting smoke then you should get them to check the turbo asap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 17 Nov 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is indeed an excellent result for you Dazza.

I was not suggesting in my earlier post that Mountune's callibrations would have had anything to do with the failure just that they may have to defend suggestions from elswhere that they were.

Regards, Don.
That's a good point actually, didn't think of that. I'll defend them!! Lol.

I know, i couldn't believe it. I was well chuffed.
The only thing that would have made it better is if the new engine had an extended warranty with it, but unfortunately ford say that because it blew while under warranty they can "get away with" it only being covered until the end of the standard 3 year warranty. Which is worrying because thats out in like 4 months!

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
Good morning Dazza,

What could be informative for many of us would be if you could get some pictures of the engine with its head off, to check the point where the block failed and damage to head gasket etc.

At a matter of interest does your local dealer just bin the old engine or do they have to send it back to Ford?

Don.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(don kalmar union @ 18 Nov 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good morning Dazza,

What could be informative for many of us would be if you could get some pictures of the engine with its head off, to check the point where the block failed and damage to head gasket etc.

At a matter of interest does your local dealer just bin the old engine or do they have to send it back to Ford?

Don.
Afternoon Don.

I'm afraid it's all done so i can't get any pictures mate but i just got off the phone to someone at EMG and they said the whole lot had to be sent back to ford, as in block, head gasket and ALL of the paper work.
But now i've got it back i'm glad it all happened, it's a completely different car now, i think the crack was there since before i got it. I just went for a nice drive around country lanes and as much as it's personality has completely changed i think its all for the best. its seems so much quicker because it's so much smoother.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts