Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think my hard drive may be giving up the ghost as it's making some very funny noises

My question is how can i transfer "everything" from my existing one to a new one?

PS Im no techo guru hence the question so answers in lay mans terms would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,193 Posts
Yes you can. It is easy if you get a utility that allows backups - I use Syncback SE which is a free download. You are best backing up to a different hard drive - portable ones just plug into a USB port - I saw one in Sainsbury's recently for £40 - or you can get a mains powered external drive for around £50 upwards. Price varies with capacity.

Your data is the most important thing to back up as program files can be re-installed on a new drive and will take a long long time to transfer.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
As Danhand has said mate, an external hard drive is your best bet, they are really simple to use, just connect to you laptop/pc and drag and drop the data over to the new drive.

p.s - if you have a Firewire port on your laptop/PC, then using a Firewire cable will let you transfer the data to the new drive much quicker than via USB. This is providing the external drive has a firewire port too though.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Our tower started to make strange noises & finally conked out , The hard drive's were fine though . We bought a hard drive docking station from pc world for around £25.00 , was great because i have a conked out lappie too so i transfered all picci's, songs & stuff onto our posh mac !

Chris , if a duffer like me managed it i'm sure you will have no problems

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Maplin are doing a 2TB (2000 GB) external USB drive for £130 at the moment, seems like a good deal.

Most of the ones you see advertised at ~£50 will be 320-500 GB of storage

Might also be worth considering an internal replacement as it will save you about £20-30 on the cost of an equivalent external drive and will take 2 minutes to fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts