Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had check engine light come on 2 days ago but with no other symptoms, then only for the past 14 hours (travelling to work and then back again afterwards) has the faults come back that I had earlier in the year. Half boost, 5th and 6th gears are blocked, parking sensors going off as I drive along and the reverse light is on in every gear BUT reverse...............was told last time it was an ABS fault and because it's christmas and I work in retail, I'll be damned if I can have the time to break out the OBD code reader let alone take it to a garage and pay them with money I don't have.

Last time this happened the fault went away after a couple of days.

Just needed to rant, any advice or opinions would be great. I might seem quite composed but the only two times this has happened is when my money has been buried in other commitments and it makes my blood boil. Stupid car, makes the otherwise perfect ownership seem belittled.

TIA

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Hi all,

Had check engine light come on 2 days ago but with no other symptoms, then only for the past 14 hours (travelling to work and then back again afterwards) has the faults come back that I had earlier in the year. Half boost, 5th and 6th gears are blocked, parking sensors going off as I drive along and the reverse light is on in every gear BUT reverse...............was told last time it was an ABS fault and because it's christmas and I work in retail, I'll be damned if I can have the time to break out the OBD code reader let alone take it to a garage and pay them with money I don't have.

Just needed to rant, any advice or opinions would be great. I might seem quite composed but the only two times this has happened is when my money has been buried in other commitments and it makes my blood boil. Stupid car, makes the otherwise perfect ownership seem belittled.

TIA
Get the voltage on the battery checked Rob. Due to the Canbus wiring on the ST it does strange things when the voltage just drops slightly. Hopefully it will be something minor.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the voltage on the battery checked Rob. Due to the Canbus wiring on the ST it does strange things when the voltage just drops slightly. Hopefully it will be something minor.
Thanks Nick, I'm really hoping it is something minor because it's worrying me sick and I can't not use the car. I'll get voltage meter on it before I go to work, that reminds me, should probably get some sleep before then!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Thanks Nick, I'm really hoping it is something minor because it's worrying me sick and I can't not use the car. I'll get voltage meter on it before I go to work, that reminds me, should probably get some sleep before then!
I know exactly how you feel. Im like that when I dont know what the issues are. Get some rest mate, just remember your not alone Rob there's always lots of us willing to help on here.

·
Registered
480 Posts
as Nick has said, very very probably the battery starting to drop off. you might see it die complete the next hard frost we get if she lives outside.

It used to happen to Alfas all the time when I had one of them as well, the thing would light up like a xmas tree and shout all sorts of random errors at you just because the battery voltage was down a couple of volts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you can check the voltage on the battery on the dash, when turning the ignition on hold the trip computer button down on the left stalk until it says TEST on the dash, then keep clicking the same stick until it rolls round to the Voltage meter. when you done simply turn the ignition off

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
you can check the voltage on the battery on the dash, when turning the ignition on hold the trip computer button down on the left stalk until it says TEST on the dash, then keep clicking the same stick until it rolls round to the Voltage meter. when you done simply turn the ignition off
mine did similar things, also randomly not allowing the accelerator to be used. The dash test only shows Volts, which in my case was useless as the battery was only putting out 5 amp... which is naff all!! !
new battery and all was well

·
Registered
112 Posts
mine did similar things, also randomly not allowing the accelerator to be used. The dash test only shows Volts, which in my case was useless as the battery was only putting out 5 amp... which is naff all!! !
new battery and all was well
mine did this too! kept saying Engine Systems Fault on my dash, accelerator didn't work as the fault brought up Throttle position sensor, changed the battery and all is well
Appy Days!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi all,

TIA
How do you mean 5th and 6th gears are blocked? you can't physically select them?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you mean 5th and 6th gears are blocked? you can't physically select them?
Yes, I think Gary (Collins) described it as a solenoid pin that blocks 5th and 6th to stop high speed when there is a fault.

Car is still limping on power but I can select all the gears, strange thing!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, I think Gary (Collins) described it as a solenoid pin that blocks 5th and 6th to stop high speed when there is a fault.

Car is still limping on power but I can select all the gears, strange thing!
I see, I have seen it before where something had snapped on the selector mechanism inside the gearbox and it was very difficult to select 5th & 6th whilst the car was moving. I have had boost issues on mine recently which has sent it into limp mode but i have still been able to select all gears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts