Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Looking to start playing guitar. Want to buy an electric guitar, but nothing tooooo expensive as need to know ill stick with it first. Anyone got any advice, etc?

Thanks

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,443 Posts
I'd advise to steer clear of the "cheap" end of the market as they tend to be more difficult to set up and play, and never seem to stay in tune.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good advice above - steer clear of the 'Encore' market!! Yamaha Pacifica are good and a nice reliable entry-level guitar. Only let down is they have a bit of a dull tone IMO.

Personally, I bought a Squier Telecaster when I wanted to start playing guitar : Squier guitars are a bit of a lottery in terms of build quality, but if you get a good one they're reliable and stay in tune as well as a lot more expensive guitars.

The only other ones that may be worth a look are Epiphone (Gibson's 'budget' guitar brand), Vintage (I've never played one of these but I've heard they're okay), and Maverick (who no-one seems to have heard of but they do good - and quite cheap -guitars which have excellent pickups for an overdriven 'metal' sound)

Other than that, best advice is to take someone who knows guitars to a shop with you, and find one you like. It's like cars...you'll just 'know' when you've got the right one

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My first guitar was a fender squire stratocaster. Had her 13 years and she still plays sweetly!

My mate had a yamaha Pacifica it he seemed to like it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, i'm pretty sure there is a guitar shop near me in Romford so ill have a look in there before i buy and see whether they have anything good going on. Does anyone have an opinion on the starter 'packs'? With amps etc? Or is it best to buy seperates?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts