Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to finally get the
cleaned today and noticed that on all my alloys i now have what look like "rust spots" , im guessing its due to the salt/grit on the rds as a couple of weeks ago they were minted. Also got the same spots on my exhaust pipes. Who recommends what to clean both the pipes and alloys with? Gave them a bit of a scrub with the shampoo but nothing came off.

mike

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Are the 'rust' spots more on the rear alloys than the fronts? It's usually actually brake pad material which has landed on the alloy whilst hot, then stuck there and looks like spots of rust in the paint. Not sure what's best to clean it off with, gentle attack with a fingernail as I'm washing them works with mine.

For the tailpipes I'd say the usual cleaning with a scotch pad and autosol shoule bring them up to scratch again.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Agree with Troy.

Also, I tend to give the exhaust tips a coat of WD40 after polishing. Leaves a slightly oily finish on the metal (which is hardly noticeable), but which acts as a barrier to moisture/road salt.

Wouldn't recommend doing this on your wheels though - you run the risk of WD40 on your brake discs!!

For my wheels, I clean with a mild detergent, then Autosol polish, and then BiltHamber Autobalm as a wax finish/protective coat.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
use solval autosol for exhaust(its a metal polish) and just use a good polish to clean the wheels up. maybe clay them if you have a clay bar. but i reckon you will clean them up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 10 Jan 2010, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are the 'rust' spots more on the rear alloys than the fronts? It's usually actually brake pad material which has landed on the alloy whilst hot, then stuck there and looks like spots of rust in the paint. Not sure what's best to clean it off with, gentle attack with a fingernail as I'm washing them works with mine.

For the tailpipes I'd say the usual cleaning with a scotch pad and autosol shoule bring them up to scratch again.

Yes, more apparent on the rear alloys! Thanks for the replies guys, next time the weathers decent il use your tips

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have you got a clay bar?

If so try using a small piece on the spots, should clear it up fine.

Ive used it on mine with some difficult marks and has worked fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts