Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

What a great resource and friendly bunch. Recently bought a '07 ST2, my first Ford. I'm getting on in years now...any other old geezers out there??

I'm a keen Speed Hill Climb competitor, limiting myself to the road going classes (very limited mods) and hoping to use the Focus this season. My previous competition car was an Alfa Spider, and I knew every nut and bolt, but the Focus is a different kettle of fish, so I'm starting from scratch really. The car is totally standard as far as I can tell, it has a K&N sticker under the hood, so I'll need to check that out (when I figure out how to access the air cleaner), and I'll be limiting my mods to essentials - probably bigger intercooler and a mild remap. Anyone used Celtic Tuning??

I'm aware of the block problems, and the 'weak' driveshafts, but I don't think these will be a problem. Hill climbing in the road going classes usually mean you have to drive to and from the event, so the last thing you need is to trash the car on the hill, so it's not a 'balls out' activity. Due to the format of the event (two practice runs, two competition runs), it's all about being precise - limiting wheelspin off the line and letting the gradient scrub the speed rather than heavy braking. 30-40 seconds a run is the norm.

This car seems to pull away well in second gear.

So, probably lots of questions, although I have to say the amount of content and advice I've found so far is very comprehensive!

Cheers,

Ian
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,434 Posts
Hi everyone,

What a great resource and friendly bunch. Recently bought a '07 ST2, my first Ford. I'm getting on in years now...any other old geezers out there??

I'm a keen Speed Hill Climb competitor, limiting myself to the road going classes (very limited mods) and hoping to use the Focus this season. My previous competition car was an Alfa Spider, and I knew every nut and bolt, but the Focus is a different kettle of fish, so I'm starting from scratch really. The car is totally standard as far as I can tell, it has a K&N sticker under the hood, so I'll need to check that out (when I figure out how to access the air cleaner), and I'll be limiting my mods to essentials - probably bigger intercooler and a mild remap. Anyone used Celtic Tuning??

I'm aware of the block problems, and the 'weak' driveshafts, but I don't think these will be a problem. Hill climbing in the road going classes usually mean you have to drive to and from the event, so the last thing you need is to trash the car on the hill, so it's not a 'balls out' activity. Due to the format of the event (two practice runs, two competition runs), it's all about being precise - limiting wheelspin off the line and letting the gradient scrub the speed rather than heavy braking. 30-40 seconds a run is the norm.

This car seems to pull away well in second gear.

So, probably lots of questions, although I have to say the amount of content and advice I've found so far is very comprehensive!

Cheers,

Ian
View attachment 906353 View attachment 906354
Very nice mate. After suggesting to you in the other thread about getting a MK7 Fiesta ST for hill climbs it got me thinking and I’ve ended up buying one for a bit of track fun :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice mate. After suggesting to you in the other thread about getting a MK7 Fiesta ST for hill climbs it got me thinking and I’ve ended up buying one for a bit of track fun :)
lol, well, there you go. I must be a trend setter... Everyone thought I was mad doing hillclimb in the Alfa, but I like to be different, and it's only really for the fun and experience. Life too short to waste time. Enjoy!

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're in a great crowd here, Ian.
As Alb says, there are a few seniors on this forum. I'm a trainee geriatric, having just passed the big eight-0, and still driving the ST as it demands to be driven and hope to continue for some time!
I 'm only knocking on the door of seven-oh, so great to hear from a 'mature' driver! Some of my hill climb friends are in their '80s, but I've had an 'interesting' life so far, so every day is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy your car as is was intended, and thanks for the comment. 😁

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hi there and pleased to see someone else into hill climbs! I am a member of Shelsley Walsh but only as a spectator. If you go to Shelsley I'll keep a lookout for you...and if not then why not!
I used to have a MK2 ST - bought new kept it for nearly10 years but then replaced it with...err...a MK3 ST in 2017.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there and pleased to see someone else into hill climbs! I am a member of Shelsley Walsh but only as a spectator. If you go to Shelsley I'll keep a lookout for you...and if not then why not!
I used to have a MK2 ST - bought new kept it for nearly10 years but then replaced it with...err...a MK3 ST in 2017.
Excellent! Always good to hear from fellow hill climb fans. Love Shelsley, my first motorsport experience when I was a youngster. I'll be sure to let you know next time i'm there. Ciao! Ian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts