Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd open up some conversation on the subject of great driving roads.

Anybody got any ideas for submissions on the best roads to take our ST's for a thrash on?

I'll take any suggestions but I'm particularly interested in north west england

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Not been down that way in over a year but I remember [this] road being particularly nice. Hopefully it's not been ruined by the ice this winter as the tarmac was perfect!

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
So I find myself in the unusual position of having a free Sunday on my hands. The girlfriend is away and allthe usual weekend round the house type jobs have been taken care of on theSaturday. So what to do? It's a glorious sunny day outside, a little chilly butnot a cloud in the sky, it would be a terrible shame to waste a day off.

I had recently posted a questionon the focusSToc.com forum asking about great driving roads so the idea occurred to me why not go out there and find one!

I've had my white focus ST-3 fora little over a month and so far the only driving I've done in it is the 80mile round trip up and down the M62 to work and back each day. Not exactly whatyou'd call enthusiastic motoring! As I'm sure you can understand the urge toget out there and find out what the ST can really do has been steadily growingand now armed with my free day and some clear weather (at last) the scene was set to explore the potential of my focus.

So where to go? It was obvious that I needed to get out into the country and where I'm based in Liverpool isn't exactly rich with rolling countryside so I turned to the internet. Initial research brought up some interesting prospects, as it turns out thereare miles and miles of roads up and down the country that have been earmarked as "great driving roads" but to my disappointment the majority seem to be well outside the Merseyside area (if anybody does know of any then please let meknow.) North Yorkshire seems to be teeming with miles of driving nirvana as does Scotland, snake pass in south Yorkshire cropped up many times but all just a little too far especially with shell v-power currently at £1.20 a litre

I narrowed my search down to the nearest place that popped up regularly North Wales. I have previously been to this area before and knew that the stunning welsh countryside would yield some interesting roads. In the end I opted for the B5105 Ruthin to Cerrigydrudion road, is seemed a fair distance frommy base, about 50 miles and was the subject of numerous internet vids and reviews. So I packed my camera and a tank full of unleaded and headed off.

The drive over was not quite as expected. Itwas at first a dull motorway cruise however once I'd turned off the M56 andaway from the dual carriageway the roads began to increasingly tighten and narrow which only heightened the sense of excitement of what was to lay ahead. Turning out of the small town of Ruthin I was greeted by the two signposts displaying the national speed limit signs, an invite to drop down into second gear and nail the throttle. The deep throaty bellow of the 2.5 litre turbocharged motor filled the cabin and I surged forward up the hill.

The road itself turned out to be everything Ihad hoped for, a series of fast bends combined with fast open straights, narrow sections, tight second gear corners, crests and sweeping turns all of which filled me with a huge sense of exhilaration. I felt like a WRC rally driver on full attack down a tarmac stage as the car flew down the road, exhaust popping and crackling on the overrun as I thumped between cogs, turbo whooshing away under the bonnet. The whole car felt like it had really come alive it was atotally different animal from the one that whisks me to and from work each day.

By the time I had reached the other end of the run I had no sense of how much time had elapsed. I pulled the car over to take a couple of pics and reflect on a drive that I will never forget on a truly great stretch of driving road. The car had performed beautifully as I hoped it would feeling like it was made to do this kind of thing.

All I can say now is I'm hooked, bring on the next free Sunday and I'm thinking buttertubs pass North Yorkshire.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sounds like you have had a fantastic day out! It does get addictive. I find myself giving it a little 'pop' a bit too often

One of the reasons I love living in Scotland, so many fantastic roads so close to my doorstep. I do need my own personal fuel refinery though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts