Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arrived at j.c.t this afternoon to collect my st,was very excited,thinking soon be behind the wheel.all was well until i said until i said ive got cash,to which he lifted his head and said we carnt take cash.i felt gutted but after riding round trying to find a bank to pay the money back in(felt rather nervous with a large envelope of notes feeding the paying in machine) and my lass sorting it online two hours later i was on me way.proper chuffed with it,grinning all the way home.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,091 Posts
The Ford dealer where I got my last ST wouldnt even take a banker's draft (they said due to forgeries !)

I had to transfer my money from a building society into my bank, wait for it to clear, then pay for the car by my debit card which was then rejected (due to the amount) and I had to go to the bank, set up a password and do all it again...

It took a week to pay for car altogether... what a pain !

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cash leaves no auditable trail, hence they don't like to take it.
That's the main reason to take cash, and you keep an auditable trail by your books matching your bank account. Cash is legal tender, people are scared for some reason and being a car dealer I am really surprised if it's for any other reason than possible forgeries.

A good valid reason would be that his business account probably has bank charges when paying in cash, the charges are minimal for transfers in, if anything.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is why I always carry my Amex/Plat Barclaycard. Still laugh when I think of the salesmans face when I walked in and gave him the plastic.

Congrats on your purchase. Mines coming up to its first aniversary tomorrow. Going to buy it a cake.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
arrived at j.c.t this afternoon to collect my st,was very excited,thinking soon be behind the wheel.all was well until i said until i said ive got cash,to which he lifted his head and said we carnt take cash.i felt gutted but after riding round trying to find a bank to pay the money back in(felt rather nervous with a large envelope of notes feeding the paying in machine) and my lass sorting it online two hours later i was on me way.proper chuffed with it,grinning all the way home.
Can't take cash ?? New one on me
...prob another way to make you take out finance to make even more money

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
So why cant I use cash if its got the queens head on it and is legal tender ? Why do I have to use a debit card ? please enlighten me old wise one
As people have said, money laundering rules. Plus, not many garages would want to have 10K+ lying around in their office until they can find the time to get to the bank. Not to mention the insurance implications, would that cash even be covered if it was stolen?

Procedures when buying with cash
  1. Ring bank to arrange large cash withdrawl
  2. Go to bank during opening hours to pickup cash (Not easy for most people)
  3. Visit dealer and pay
  4. Dealer must positively identify you and go through a whole host of procedures to report a large cash transaction.
Procedures when buying on card
  1. Visit dealer and pay

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
As people have said, money laundering rules. Plus, not many garages would want to have 10K+ lying around in their office until they can find the time to get to the bank. Not to mention the insurance implications, would that cash even be covered if it was stolen?

Procedures when buying with cash
  1. Ring bank to arrange large cash withdrawl
  2. Go to bank during opening hours to pickup cash (Not easy for most people)
  3. Visit dealer and pay
  4. Dealer must positively identify you and go through a whole host of procedures to report a large cash transaction.
Procedures when buying on card
  1. Visit dealer and pay
Well perhaps the said business should advertise they dont take cash as payment

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the max they would accept was 1k.thought i was going home empty handed but got there in the end.proper chuffed with it,been out at every possible chance,even offered to deliver xmas cards so i could get out.lol

Was this the blue st3 on an 08 plate?
no was a blue st2 06

1 - 20 of 23 Posts