Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just in the process of finalising our holiday to Glendaruel, and I was wanting to tap into your local knowledge.

Its all well and good looking at brochures, but Im trying to get past all that and get down to the nitty gritty, but please go easy on me....try not to put me off.

Would be great if you could give me a little bit of information about local attractions, and what we can expect, not too sure if there are any members in the exact locality, but any help/info wil be great.

Its the first time we`ve ever gone North for our holidays, strange that.

Oh, one other thing what will the weather be like in the first week of August???

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Andy, are you camping or indoors, outdoors any where near water and you will not believe the midgies. I use Deet, It doesn't keep them off you but it sure stops them biting also as I have found out, do not use fruity toiletries like Garnier Fructus lol:
It looks like you've chosen a good base, you've got Ranoch moor, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, Mull is very nice to drive. Further north you have Fort Augustus on loch ness, lovely place, a lovely pub next to the canal loch stairway that does lock-ins. Never done it but apparently anyone can climb ben Nevis, I was in fort williambut it was too misty to see ben Nevis, shame. Further north the road to Ullapool from Inverness is stunning to, no cameras and little traffic. They have some wonderful pubs that also do lockins and you must do a ceilidh if you get that far up.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy, are you camping or indoors, outdoors any where near water and you will not believe the midgies. I use Deet, It doesn't keep them off you but it sure stops them biting also as I have found out, do not use fruity toiletries like Garnier Fructus lol:
It looks like you've chosen a good base, you've got Ranoch moor, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, Mull is very nice to drive. Further north you have Fort Augustus on loch ness, lovely place, a lovely pub next to the canal loch stairway that does lock-ins. Never done it but apparently anyone can climb ben Nevis, I was in fort williambut it was too misty to see ben Nevis, shame. Further north the road to Ullapool from Inverness is stunning to, no cameras and little traffic. They have some wonderful pubs that also do lockins and you must do a ceilidh if you get that far up.
Cheers fellas, doesnt look like our Scottish friends know much about it does it???

·
Registered
576 Posts
Andy,

I'm not sure of that place either mate. am I right in thinking it's in Argyll? If so you might want to ask the guys in the Scotland South region as it falls under their area so they may have a few guys who know it.

Hope you enjoy the holiday anyway mate.

Gary

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy,

I'm not sure of that place either mate. am I right in thinking it's in Argyll? If so you might want to ask the guys in the Scotland South region as it falls under their area so they may have a few guys who know it.

Hope you enjoy the holiday anyway mate.

Gary
This is it, see it does exist.

http://www.mapquest.co.uk/mq/maps/mapAddress.do?cboCountry=GB&txtCity=Glendaruel&txtPostcode=PA22&txtLatitude=56.02847&txtLongitude=-5.19732

Ok cheers Gary. Will do.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hi Andy, I drive through Glendaruel on a regular basis, its a bit of a one horse town, without the horse!

I travel up that way to Otter ferry for round timber, if its a relaxing holiday that your after, this is the place.

Only concern is that I have about travelling up to Argyll in August is the MIDGE. This bad boy can bring the

most hardy to tears, the weather however is a lottery, just remember this and you won't be disappointed,

.......In Argyll your either going up a hill or down a hill and its either raining or its not!!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Hi Andy, I drive through Glendaruel on a regular basis, its a bit of a one horse town, without the horse!

I travel up that way to Otter ferry for round timber, if its a relaxing holiday that your after, this is the place.

Only concern is that I have about travelling up to Argyll in August is the MIDGE. This bad boy can bring the

most hardy to tears, the weather however is a lottery, just remember this and you won't be disappointed,

.......In Argyll your either going up a hill or down a hill and its either raining or its not!!!!!

Jim
AHH at last, thanks Jim.

Ive already been warned about the midges, but they tend to leave me alone and have a chew on the wife so alls good.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Andy, Argyll is gorgeous, midges are not!! Try Avon skin so soft for repellent, works a treat. You have to go to Glencoe, it's astounding. There are some really great drivin roads to be sampled, the road to Mallaig has recently been upgraded and resurfaced, belting! If you have time, nip over to Rum, the Island is fantastic and Kinloch Castle is about as quirky as it comes, join the tour party and be gobsmacked. The Ben(Nevis) is strenuous and can bite you, even in August using the 'tourist' path.
The Fort(William) is a toilet, ask the locals, overpriced tourist tat. If you're into mountainbiking, Aonach Mor is the venue for many word class events, gondala up and scare the begeebus down!
Loadsa great stuff, Argyll is a beautifull paert of a beautifull country

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Andy, Argyll is gorgeous, midges are not!! Try Avon skin so soft for repellent, works a treat. You have to go to Glencoe, it's astounding. There are some really great drivin roads to be sampled, the road to Mallaig has recently been upgraded and resurfaced, belting! If you have time, nip over to Rum, the Island is fantastic and Kinloch Castle is about as quirky as it comes, join the tour party and be gobsmacked. The Ben(Nevis) is strenuous and can bite you, even in August using the 'tourist' path.
The Fort(William) is a toilet, ask the locals, overpriced tourist tat. If you're into mountainbiking, Aonach Mor is the venue for many word class events, gondala up and scare the begeebus down!
Loadsa great stuff, Argyll is a beautifull paert of a beautifull country
Thanks very much mate, some good advice there.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nae bother mate, also know of a lot of bothies in that neck of the woods if you wanna get rough and away from it all

How's yer shiney bits?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bothies are absolutely fantastic, apart from wild camping or cave dwelling they are the best! http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/whatisabothy.asp

The actual location and route etc, are kinda kept quiet, you need to know where you are going, or know a man that does
but they are wonderful places, full of history and solitude. You pickin up I love bothying

Doh! just noticed you don't do rough!..........................Scratch Bothies!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Andy,

now I'm on a comp that works better I've had a look at where exactly you are going. It's actually just across the water from where I grew up (Tarbert, Argyll). I sugest taking a trip round to Inveraray or maybe even a bit futher south on the Kintyre peninsula. It's absolutely stunning countryside and full of twisty roads! There are lots of tourist attractions too. Inveraray itself has a castle which is home to the duke of Argyll which is worth a look if you like these things.

Being honest anywhere up the West Coast of Scotland has jaw dropping scenery so you won't be left dissapointed!

Gary

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Gary, thats what I was hoping to hear, we love all the kind if thing.

Just need to sort out where to get the ferry now.
Hope its a big`un cos we`ll be in the Mondy and itll be full of suitcases...........ye know what women are like with their packing.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Cheers Gary, thats what I was hoping to hear, we love all the kind if thing.

Just need to sort out where to get the ferry now.
Hope its a big`un cos we`ll be in the Mondy and itll be full of suitcases...........ye know what women are like with their packing.
Oi
not all women are like that i can get mine and two kids into one small case for a week surely thats impressive

1 - 19 of 19 Posts