Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, well did a little mod today didnt plan it but was changing my alternator and broke the GGR cais casing getting it out
so i thought that i would take out the KN filter and just have it as an open induction, now it sounds like the DSCI induction kit
but the thing is by doing this will i lose performance or would it work just like the the other induction kits on the market?

thanks

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
you could get another piece of samco and re route it down to the left behind the fog light, & make a bracket to keep it steady. be cheaper than a new kit.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
It'll take more than 1 piece of samco to do that - you'd need some bends, joining bits etc and some solid pipework too to support it proper and route it down there.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 24 Jan 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you could get another piece of samco and re route it down to the left behind the fog light, & make a bracket to keep it steady. be cheaper than a new kit.

that is what i was thinking coz where it is at the moment is where the cais would be and it dont look very good
looks abit bodged if im honest will it be ok where it is for now until i sort something out? is the ggr kn the same size as the 1 on the dsci induction kit? as the 1 on mine looks quite big.

thanks

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Jan 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It'll take more than 1 piece of samco to do that - you'd need some bends, joining bits etc and some solid pipework too to support it proper and route it down there.

troy45 is right mate, it will take more than one piece of samco. a bit of thought, measuring etc & it is possible. imo still be much cheaper than a dsci ind kit & the filter you have should be perfectly ok.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 24 Jan 2010, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>troy45 is right mate, it will take more than one piece of samco. a bit of thought, measuring etc & it is possible. imo still be much cheaper than a dsci ind kit & the filter you have should be perfectly ok.

yeah i know its not going to be that simple thats y at the moment i have it sat on the cais bracket because the filter is quite heavy when its only connected by the samco hoses.so as it is at the moment it will work fine and i wont lose power as to where it is sitting??

thanks

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 24 Jan 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeah i know its not going to be that simple thats y at the moment i have it sat on the cais bracket because the filter is quite heavy when its only connected by the samco hoses.so as it is at the moment it will work fine and i wont lose power as to where it is sitting??

thanks

you probably will lose a bit of power mate as it will suffer from some heat soak. cold air good, hot air bad!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 24 Jan 2010, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you probably will lose a bit of power mate as it will suffer from some heat soak. cold air good, hot air bad!

will this be noticeable?? how would i know its happening?

thanks

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Not experienced it myself on a car but possbily the car will stumble when you dive away from lights etc cos the engine bay's not had any cool air coming in and the car's been breathing the hot stuff instead. Maybe feel less nippy than usual too?

If you do go with putting your filter down behind the foglight you'll end up with something similar to what i've done modding the K&N Gen2 pipework to remove the filter box and use RS ECU casing - mine's now a mix of samco hose and bits of the original K&N pipework

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Jan 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not experienced it myself on a car but possbily the car will stumble when you dive away from lights etc cos the engine bay's not had any cool air coming in and the car's been breathing the hot stuff instead. Maybe feel less nippy than usual too?

If you do go with putting your filter down behind the foglight you'll end up with something similar to what i've done modding the K&N Gen2 pipework to remove the filter box and use RS ECU casing - mine's now a mix of samco hose and bits of the original K&N pipework

hi m8 does it work ok like that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts