Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having joined the club within the club and had my alternator fail, I had a new one fitted at a Ford main dealer on Tuesday. Thought I got a real result getting the car in on the first day after the holidays.

Picked it up the next day and went to work and back home. Good to see 14+ volts on the Scangauge again.

On the Thursday I went to get some petrol in my local garage. When I returned home I noticed steam coming from under the bonnet. I found the header tank empty, the engine covered in condensation and a strong smell of anti-freeze. I topped up as best I could and carefully returned to the dealer.

"We don't touch anything on the cooling side to do the alternator". I asked that they checked out the problem, and after a while I was told that the problem was that when they re-fitted the airbox on Wednesday, due to the very tight clearances it had dislodged a clip on a hose!

So if you are going to get an alternator fitted, make sure you have no leaks before you leave the garage. Only snag is that it might well have only been a slight leak in the early stages - I certainly had no indications before going out the day after I got it back - so it might not be very easy to spot.

G

·
i hope they fixed the leak for you cus surely they would have spotted a leak on the floor if they were paying attention once it moved sound slike ford trying to get out of another problem very bad here in my area unless you know the mechanics

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep -they fixed it - even they would not just tell me that they had accidentally knocked a clip off without sorting it out.

As regards to the leak, I suspect that it did not start until the system pressurized and it would not have been running long enough at the garage to fully warm up and start to leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts