Ford Focus ST Forum banner
3661 - 3680 of 3700 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 is discussing the group lunchtime if anybody wants to listen to the/their arguments and whether they are breaking the law or not.
I think what constitutes breaking the law, is in many instances obscured nowadays by peoples desire to be 'on message' causing them act in a way contrary to their true feelings for fear of reprisals or of being 'called out' by the vocal minority who taken offence to anything that fails to align with their own lofty beliefs. Take for instance the toppling of the Edward Colston statue in Bristol. Clearly the law was broken (we all saw it on TV) but unfathomably, the jury chose to acquit the four imbeciles responsible.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Choice is fine but this has negative impacts on others.

It's more about raising the issues of waste and pollution and the failure of Govt to act. Pressure needs to be put on car makers and people thinking twice about buying a big 4x4 for city use may do this.
I suspect we are all making choices that may potentially impact negatively on others in some way shape or form (this applies the world over). One could for instance, adopt the view point that eating meat/failing to embrace veganism is negative, or that producing children in an already over populated world is detrimental. Where does one draw the line. How do we determine and appoint those who we consider are suitably qualified to be the arbiters of society and sit in judgement of its associated behaviours?

·
Registered
CP320
1,641 Posts
I think what constitutes breaking the law, is in many instances obscured nowadays by peoples desire to be 'on message' causing them act in a way contrary to their true feelings for fear of reprisals or of being 'called out' by the vocal minority who taken offence to anything that fails to align with their own lofty beliefs. Take for instance the toppling of the Edward Colston statue in Bristol. Clearly the law was broken (we all saw it on TV) but unfathomably, the jury chose to acquit the four imbeciles responsible.
Whilst those scumbags got acquitted, the Crown Court is still a lower court where stated cases arising are not binding. I would not be surprised to see the failure of any similar defences raised in future.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,250 Posts
Speed-bumps ... but not the usual reason.

I reckon they're also another cause of people buying big 4x4s and Crossovers, so they can just drive over them without slowing.

Nearly every new car in my road is now one of these jacked-up monstrosities. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I think you make a valid point, but I also think another reason for the proliferation of 4x4's is it's akin to an arms race. Everyone wants a high and commanding view/driving position, so once one starts, everyone else needs one just to keep up. Otherwise your left sitting in your standard car with an obscured view because an effing 4x4 is blocking your line of sight.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, Collins CP2
1,523 Posts
I think you make a valid point, but I also think another reason for the proliferation of 4x4's is it's akin to an arms race. Everyone wants a high and commanding view/driving position, so once one starts, everyone else needs one just to keep up. Otherwise your left sitting in your standard car with an obscured view because an effing 4x4 is blocking your line of sight.
Or is it because they see an suv as a status symbol and want show the world how they are better than everyone else, ignoring the fact its possibly leased, bit like renting a telly in the 70's from redifusion.

·
Registered
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
2,240 Posts
Or is it because they see an suv as a status symbol and want show the world how they are better than everyone else, ignoring the fact its possibly leased, bit like renting a telly in the 70's from redifusion.
100% this.

My in laws have an SUV each, neither of them need them, neither of them has ever towed anything and the closest they've come to off road is the driveway. Both are financed and they both moan and complain about the running cost, but they both love showing off and acting like they're above everyone else.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,250 Posts
True, these are all reasons for the 4x4 / SUV boom. But around here the number speed-bumps is crazy and everyone is sick of them.

For an average driver I cant really blame them for buying an SUV to make driving over them more bearable.What is worse though is they dont even slow down for them now. In my road only me and a guy with a modded Leon Cupra have to...

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
939 Posts
Oldest son is doing his level 1 mechanics at college, passed last years basics with flying colors. This year the teacher has been a right ****, this imi stuff they have to do is stupid, its all copy & paste really from everyone but due to my son putting it in his own words (correct from haynes and the full workshop manual) my son is copying & pasting to this teacher, this year his imi keeps coming back as a copy & paste, so i've helped him do it on a level 3 instructions and still his came out with its copy & paste. Had a meeting and got abuse but soon as i threatened to knock his teeth out he left the room. Today even after he was warned by me and the head of the building he told my son to wipe all imi and restart, just to be a ****.

other students are at 60% completion YET they can't get over 20% yet!, son is at 15% but due to this **** of a teacher he can't carry on with his work.

Why do these teachers always pick on the quiet kids that actually know they'er stuff but act great with the idiots of the class?

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
939 Posts
Having this done by family to your car while your dad had just passed away not even 30 minutes.

Not sure to repair or scrap now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Having this done by family to your car while your dad had just passed away not even 30 minutes.

What the **** is wrong with people? Family or not, people that do this kind of childish and cowardly stuff are absolute scum.

Hope you're ok, and condolences.

·
Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, Collins CP2
1,523 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I honestly think your insurance would scrap the car and it could happen again.
I personally would consider moving if you could 😪

·
Registered
2006 ST-2 MK2
939 Posts
Well i've cooled off abit now, i will not going into detail but even the police was disgusted about it, we was with my dad having our last time before they took him away, while this happened my older siblings did not like it we was there and keyed my car (i've left one photo out due to what it said) they let my tyres down, the police said it could be a write off due to the damage unless i pay for it to be done.

I did not care really as it was/is a easy fix but all this happened while my dad was still cold in the care home, no respect. At least do it after if they wanted to be childish.

Thank you for the words. We are putting in for a move after we've sorted my dad out.:cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Between me and my partner we have a

mk4 ST focus in race red MY20 with dreamscience 330 map

MK8 ST3 fiesta in frozen white MY20

I have taken to not visiting supermarkets or just about anywhere other than free drives or work in the cars and just online shopping for everything

I’ve had a drivers window gouged with some tool when parked in ikea car park and a note left on the screen saying ‘nice things get destroyed’

took my disabled friend to Tesco once shopping and used his blue badge and got called a lying ******* and threats to damage my car by some loon in a Motability spec Kia until he realised my friend couldn’t walk when I got his crutches out of the back 😂

got screamed at and called a ******! by a woman who knows me through a friend outside the local shop for driving a flash car when her kids are starving yet she was stood there with a pack of 20 cigs and a bottle of vodka in her bag 😂 if only she’d give up drinking and smoking just one day a week she could feed her kids more.

has anyone else experienced this ****?

Me and my partner both got well paid jobs and work 65 hours plus each with no kids, neither of us drink and we hate foreign holidays so whats The point of having money and not spending it :/

just seems you can’t succeed at anything these days without being portrayed to be a monster because your not poor

Also what is it with poor 2 parent households thinking they’re owed something when neither works and instead of getting of there ***** and doing something about it. Instead they steal benefits, work cash in hand, smoke like chimneys, throw booze down their necks daily and spend there evenings taking pictures of their backyard inflatable heated council estate sex ponds! and posting online! And in the same breath they visit food banks to offset their pleasures it’s distgusting. Food banks are for people who are struggling through no choice

People just assume me or we are detached from reality when in reality we both got dragged up on rough council estates and bought our house on one 5 years ago. Just we saw what needed to be done to not follow in footsteps

Arrrrrrrgh

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The only time I had anyone have a go at me at a supermarket was when i was in my old Porsche and parked in parent and child with my 12 month old son. The older woman also parked in parent and child (alone and without a child) say I shouldn't be parking there as I wasn't a mother.

As for the rest I've never had that, but it's a crazy world out there and people believe they deserve stuff they haven't worked for.
But on the other side I've been there as part of a poor 2 parent family, living off a just over minimum wage salary while my wife was at university. We lived on a rough estate in **** part of st Helens. The only car we could afford to run was an old rusty 1.3 fiesta that was given to us. But we worked hard, my wife got her degree in nuclear physics which led to a great job that allowed me to go back to college, retrain get on to a good apprenticeship (not the most fun thing to do at 35 years old and being 15 odd years older than everyone else) that led to a good well paying job.

3661 - 3680 of 3700 Posts