Ford Focus ST Forum banner
3521 - 3540 of 3559 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Uneconomical car (mainly MK2 st) owners moaning about fuel prices.

No one forced you to buy it, fuel prices are only going to go one way, if you can't afford it buy something more economical and stop ****ing whining.

I feel better now.
Yep, and also the general level of ignorance shown around the other costs that creep up and are significant.

I'd say the average MK2 ST probably costs around 25p per mile to run in terms of fuel, but a set of four decent tyres at £100 per corner lasting about 7,000 miles each on average is going to add a further 6p per mile on top of that. Add in servicing (oil, filters, other fluids) and perhaps the most ignored of all - general depreciation - fuel costs are just part of the overall cost.

Best advice I can give if concerned about mpg is to just not drive it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,407 Posts
Uneconomical car (mainly MK2 st) owners moaning about fuel prices.

No one forced you to buy it, fuel prices are only going to go one way, if you can't afford it buy something more economical and stop ****ing whining.

I feel better now.
It happens whatever the marque - there's a thread on the MB forums titled 'So, AMG owners - how's your mileage?'. Because you buy an AMG because you're worried about fuel consumption....

What gets my goat more is people who rely on manufacturer's security instead of spending a few hundred quid on something better, which is not a whole lot compared to the price of the car, and then complain that some chav stole it.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Personally I would say not so much if you haven't put the effort in to protect it.
I thought about this a few times - in some respects I agree. If someone went on holiday for two weeks and didn't bother to close the downstairs windows of their house, one would be tempted to think 'serves you right' if they got burgled.

The waters get muddier though when crime prevention messages advising women to cover their drinks in nightclubs and walk home in pairs through well lit areas to avoid getting spiked and/or raped are met with hysterical resistance and accusations of 'victim blaming', despite this being principally the same as the opportunistic burglary (or car theft).

So I'm not sure if someone who has their car stolen whilst using factory security has any less right to complain.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,407 Posts
I thought about this a few times - in some respects I agree. If someone went on holiday for two weeks and didn't bother to close the downstairs windows of their house, one would be tempted to think 'serves you right' if they got burgled.

The waters get muddier though when crime prevention messages advising women to cover their drinks in nightclubs and walk home in pairs through well lit areas to avoid getting spiked and/or raped are met with hysterical resistance and accusations of 'victim blaming', despite this being principally the same as the opportunistic burglary (or car theft).

So I'm not sure if someone who has their car stolen whilst using factory security has any less right to complain.
I'm not saying they have no right to complain at all, but if you buy an expensive item of any kind then you take measures to protect it - especially if you know it's going to be a target of theft like an ST is.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I'm not saying they have no right to complain at all, but if you buy an expensive item of any kind then you take measures to protect it - especially if you know it's going to be a target of theft like an ST is.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you! I just struggle to reconcile how it's acceptable within society to give common sense crime prevention advice around things like theft, vandalism etc but not for more serious offences against the person where it gets called 'victim blaming'.

Going off topic slightly, but 'contributory negligence' is a well established concept in civil law. In simple terms, even if a claimant's case has merit, any compensation awarded will still be reduced accordingly if the claimant was somewhat reponsible for their own fate. An an example, a pedestrian gets run over by a drunk driver. The drunk driver has clearly committed a crime, but it transpires that the pedestrian walked out in front of the car in circumstances that even a completely sober driver would have been unable to react and avoid a collision. Even if the pedestrian made a successful personal injury claim, it would likely amount to very little in terms of their award.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
It is correctly socially unacceptable to say that a woman's dress is to blame for her being raped, then why should it not be the same about only having factory fitted security if someone steals your car?

The blame lies wholly with the perpetrator of the crime, not the recipient. Yet insurance companies can legally "**** shame" their customers rather than paying out, as they are victims of crime.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,112 Posts
My neice has just passed her test and bought herself a brand new car (a Corsa). Then she says, but I only work 10 mins walk away... :mad:

So much for young people being the future hope to save the planet. They want new stuff even more than ever. :rolleyes:

No 'recycling' old cars like we used to... and some of us still are ! (y)

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,766 Posts
My neice has just passed her test and bought herself a brand new car (a Corsa). Then she says, but I only work 10 mins walk away... :mad:

So much for young people being the future hope to save the planet. They want new stuff even more than ever. :rolleyes:

No 'recycling' old cars like we used to... and some of us still are ! (y)
Well buying a Vauxhall 🤮shows you the mentality. 🤣

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
395 Posts
People who are great with you till their "so called" friend shows up and then the person becomes a right azz and can't see what that person is doing, butt kissing and having them believe their total lies. Full grown adults, then when their mate "bro" threatens others they just laugh it off but can't see the reason their wive left them due to this very thing with their kid.

Too many "adults" doing this than rid the problem and live a non childish life and be a lot happier.

3521 - 3540 of 3559 Posts