Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - sorry to ask a ques on the day I join the group - many apologies. Ive picked up my first ST today (18 plate, 16K on clock).......clutch is ok and gearbox is all smooth. My ques is - does anyone else sometimes have a noise going into 1st gear? So clutch down, gearstick goes left - all good. Just as I push up to go into 1st sometimes and only sometimes there is a little clunk - barely audible but I can hear it. This never happens into other gears and only sometimes when I go into 1st. Any ideas please? Thanks Pete

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi all - sorry to ask a ques on the day I join the group - many apologies. Ive picked up my first ST today (18 plate, 16K on clock).......clutch is ok and gearbox is all smooth. My ques is - does anyone else sometimes have a noise going into 1st gear? So clutch down, gearstick goes left - all good. Just as I push up to go into 1st sometimes and only sometimes there is a little clunk - barely audible but I can hear it. This never happens into other gears and only sometimes when I go into 1st. Any ideas please? Thanks Pete
Where exactly is the clunking noise coming from? Inside the car or near the engine?

·
Registered
Mk4 ST280
1,496 Posts
My previous mk3 did this from new. I always assumed it was either the ABS self check or a quirk of the box. I’m sure I’ve had other Fords do the same.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Inside car......just one little clunk just before it goes into gear
I mean i think every focus does this? Iv had 3 focus's and currently own 2 MK3's and you can "hear" the gear linkages so to speak... Now if it feels odd then id start to worry... Or if its an extremely loud noise.. Can we get a video please?

Ill be jumping in my car shortly and i will see if i can hear anything on mine going into first gear (18 plate ST3 with 18k on clock). So a very similar car in all aspects.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean i think every focus does this? Iv had 3 focus's and currently own 2 MK3's and you can "hear" the gear linkages so to speak... Now if it feels odd then id start to worry... Or if its an extremely loud noise.. Can we get a video please?

Ill be jumping in my car shortly and i will see if i can hear anything on mine going into first gear (18 plate ST3 with 18k on clock). So a very similar car in all aspects.
Cheers Siye. I mean it doesn't feel odd and very quiet....a video might not pick it up and its very intermittent...alexp earlier says his did this. I might be paranoid....first ST and only had it a day etc. Also its one if those things that a garage prob wouldnt even look at. Will monitor and feed back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Cheers Siye. I mean it doesn't feel odd and very quiet....a video might not pick it up and its very intermittent...alexp earlier says his did this. I might be paranoid....first ST and only had it a day etc. Also its one if those things that a garage prob wouldnt even look at. Will monitor and feed back.
Hi mate, i went out to my ST3 and checked mine does NOT make any funny noises when going into first unlike my old 1.6 desiel focus which definitely did. I did check with the engine off and clutch in. Does you're make this noise only when driving, as i can recheck if needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mate, i went out to my ST3 and checked mine does NOT make any funny noises when going into first unlike my old 1.6 desiel focus which definitely did. I did check with the engine off and clutch in. Does you're make this noise only when driving, as i can recheck if needed.
Thanks Siye.....thanks for checking. Yes only when driving. As i say its only subtle, quiet and doesnt happen every time. Could be linkages, could just be a gearbox quirk. Cheers for that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.