Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I have a garage but inside it are workbenches, tool boxes and my motorcycle. Consequently the ST lives on my fairly long drive with a high wall on one side, garage on it and a low wall on the other. Access to the house is not down the driveway. I am considering purchasing a decent quality Gazebo 6mtrsx3mtrs to park the car under, not for security more to keep the elements off it. The frame would be bolted to the floor and 2 walls for stability in winds etc. As anybody had experience of using one of these for this purpose? Or any advicethoughts regarding using one for such? - Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Your probably best looking at a racing/pit tent. Try www.dancover.co.uk

In all honesty though with some of the weather we get I'm not sure I'd trust it being over my pride and joy. I've no idea how well put together they are, or how resilient they are to the elements, probably fine on a temporary basis, but long term through the winter? Hmmmm, not so sure!!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your probably best looking at a racing/pit tent. Try www.dancover.co.uk

In all honesty though with some of the weather we get I'm not sure I'd trust it being over my pride and joy. I've no idea how well put together they are, or how resilient they are to the elements, probably fine on a temporary basis, but long term through the winter? Hmmmm, not so sure!!
The ones im looking at are the pit tent type and my drive has full height walls on 2 sides and a half height wall on the other. There would only be the entrance end open and that would be down the drive. So the location is actually well sheltered. I had thought about the weather myself as such bolting the frame to the floor and the 2 walls was in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,488 Posts
I would have thought a proper fixed canopy would be better than a gazebo as gazebo's not very strong to be left up in all weathers

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
With a gazebo, you get what you pay for Nick, so I guess you have to set how much you want to pay....

I think, but not certain, you could build a wooden frame and cover it with clear corrugated plastic sheting, and it would not be classed as permanent? You dont need planning permission to put a shed up as they are not classed as permanent. I would much rather do that, as then I would know exactly how secure and rigid it was.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a gazebo, you get what you pay for Nick, so I guess you have to set how much you want to pay....

I think, but not certain, you could build a wooden frame and cover it with clear corrugated plastic sheting, and it would not be classed as permanent? You dont need planning permission to put a shed up as they are not classed as permanent. I would much rather do that, as then I would know exactly how secure and rigid it was.
Good point Mark. Its that old thing "time". Im that busy with my full time job and with RSPARTS im up to my eyes in work and sticking a Gazebo up is so much quicker than scourcing materials, picking them up and building it. Even a structure like that needs to be solid enough to withstand the elements so cant be thrown together. If we did move taking a Gazebo down is far quicker than a man-made structure, plus a Gazebo can be taken with us. But I agree with what your saying totally.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Fair point Nick.

When I helped Tiny machine polish his RS last easter, he borrowed a Gazebo off his mate Si which was about hte best one I have seen, be worth asking him if he can find out what make it was....

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Fair point Nick.

When I helped Tiny machine polish his RS last easter, he borrowed a Gazebo off his mate Si which was about hte best one I have seen, be worth asking him if he can find out what make it was....

View attachment 92418
The ones im looking at are considerably more substantial than that one Mark. Im looking at ones on Ebay at £170 6mtsx3mts. With sides in and windows (clear sections). Any chance you could check them out on Ebay and give me your opinion pls.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just had a go at doing it and I got nowhere lol. This laptop will only let me go on one interenet address at a time, it doesnt minimise for some reason and its not my laptop so dare not mess with it when I dont know what im doing.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Just had a go at doing it and I got nowhere lol. This laptop will only let me go on one interenet address at a time, it doesnt minimise for some reason and its not my laptop so dare not mess with it when I dont know what im doing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Arc-H-D-Portable-Garage-Carport-Shelter-Car-Canopy-White-6x3m-/110808624522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19ccb56d8a a bit like this one nick???

If so to be honest I think no matter how well you secure it down the fabric sides and roof will still flap around in the wind and could be quite annoying for you or the neighbours

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Massive thanks Ashley. Its "waterproof 6m x 3m pop up garden gazebo tent marquee" Peak. Top are the sellers. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts