Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can he inject some of his resin into my window screen? I have a small chip right in the eye line. Can they do repairs on a heated window?? If so does ti go completely.

I tried phoning today and was in a que and gave up, never see one of their vans in Tescos car park when you need one.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
Not sure, but don't think they can repair any cracks in the A zone of the window (The drivers side).

Nevermind - AA Website:

Depending on size and position a chip on your windscreen can be a distraction or even impair vision.
Damage of up to 40mm across can sometimes be repaired, depending on where in the screen it is situated. If the damage is right in front of the driver - in the area known as the 'A zone' - only damage up to 10mm can be repaired. This is slightly less than the size of a 5 pence coin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
its smaller than a 5p its a nasty chip with a tiny line that will get worse with the cold and heated screen
Should be ok buddy give them a call and get it done they come out a do them at work and home and costs you nothing so you've got not to lose.....

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Its nowhere near invisible and they will eventually loose the resin and either need re-sealing or the split will creep, meaning a new screen.

Ive got a couple at the moment, dreading having to get a screen replaced again,

·
Registered
418 Posts
i'd just help the crack along a little with a hammer, might aswell get a whole new screen out of mr insurance

·
Registered
480 Posts
its smaller than a 5p its a nasty chip with a tiny line that will get worse with the cold and heated screen
tiny line = cracked mate, means you will need a new screen!

some chav threw a screw at my Alfa GTA as I was driving passed them, they hung out a car window coming the other way and threw it, hit the passenger side of my windscreen square on, chipped it but left a sort of cresant shaped mark, about the width of a finger nail, effectively meaning it had cracked as well as chipped, was only tiny but not worth messing around with, better off getting it replaced and they'll refuse to fix the chip as it won't fix the problem.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Fom how you have described the chip/crack the guy will likely come out attempt a repair FOC (and FOC for the insurer) as it will not be up to their normal 100% satisfaction, i.e. it may creap so can not give their life time repair gaurantee.

The good thing about this is it does not go on your insurance record (some insurers now inrease your risk/rating if you havea glass repair/replacement claim)

If it does get worse you just get a screan then, if it last then great, money saved.

Nb if you do get a screan, from autoglass it comes with a life time warrenty (i.e. for as long as you own the car) and this includes faults to the heating eliment!

NB do not ring them for a price to fit it outside of insurance, I had one fitted on my fleet (we do not have screan cover) the BMW 1 series screen cost me £170, auto glass quoted........just uunder........£580!!!!

Even with 'discounts' your independants will likely be much cheaper on a retail sale

·
Registered
239 Posts
In the A Zone as long as the damage can be covered by a five pence it can be repaired,crack or no crack and yes heated screens can be done.
The resin has no lifespan this is why a "as long as you own the car" warrenty is given.
Gavin is not a actor he is a fitter who works at the birmingham branch of AG and yes hes a complete

The end result depends on the damage type,starburst,bullseye,bee wing ect but its right that it never gos and you will always be left with a mark.
If you do want the screen replacing not repairing you dont have to make it worse,just insist that you want a new screen

Cost for a screen your looking at around 200

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fom how you have described the chip/crack the guy will likely come out attempt a repair FOC (and FOC for the insurer) as it will not be up to their normal 100% satisfaction, i.e. it may creap so can not give their life time repair gaurantee.** SORRY not the case some insurance companys carry excess for repairs, including Direct line and Churchill it is NEVER FOC to the insurance company beleave me they pay **

The good thing about this is it does not go on your insurance record (some insurers now inrease your risk/rating if you havea glass repair/replacement claim) **This is not true some insurance companys class a repair as a glass claim**

If it does get worse you just get a screan then, if it last then great, money saved.

Nb if you do get a screan, from autoglass it comes with a life time warrenty (i.e. for as long as you own the car) and this includes faults to the heating eliment! **No,warrenty on the heating elements and other electrics is one year only**

NB do not ring them for a price to fit it outside of insurance, I had one fitted on my fleet (we do not have screan cover) the BMW 1 series screen cost me £170, auto glass quoted........just uunder........£580!!!!

Even with 'discounts' your independants will likely be much cheaper on a retail sale **Totaly Agree** !!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Read my post again (this is from my experience and discussions with high up Autoglass representatives not a fitter, mate down the pub etc.),

Because of how the poster describes the crack, there is a real chance that the AG man will repair it, but as there is a chance the crack will still grow, it will not be classed as a satisfactory/claimable repair, i.e they will not charge the insurer for it but also will not give it their lifetime warrenty!!!!

Because of this it will not go on to the insurer records as it will not be reported and so will not effect future renewals!!!!

I agree re some insurers rating on glass repair/replacement (read inside the brackets on my post!!!) hence why I will not claim for a screen repair or replacement but put my hand in my pocket and pay for it privately!!

Autoglass confirmed to me that all the glass including the heating eliment is covered by their lifetime warrenty if it is their glass fitted, (if you force them to use manufacturer supplied glass it will just carry the manufactures warrenty), I speciffically asked re the ST & jag screens!!!!!! (there again it does not stop them from changing their minds and try and get out of it if a claim comes in, like any other company warrenty).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dennis,
Totally agree 100% I did need to read your post PROPERLY! Lol guess that's what comes from going on Forums after a few cans…..

Never meant to insinuate that the info was from mates down the pub, all very interesting stuff
Makes me wonder …if the damage is not repairable - AG will probably repair it for nothing but not charge the insurance - what happens if the chip cracks off while he's repairing it?

Seeing as the manufacturer (I presume you mean like a O/E Ford Screen) only guarantee heated elements for one year - and Ags warranty is for as long as you own the car- you would be better off requesting that you don't get a Ford screen? What happens to your warranty if it's a new car ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts