Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

A quick hello from me, Garspeed in Aberdeenshire, having finally parted with my deposit yesterday for a face lifted ST-3 in white. It is coming up from down south so may take a week or so to get here considering the weather and then needs serviced before I can collect her. It's been quite a few years since I have been "hot hatching" as more recently I have had a few scoobies and even a 4*4 and trailer when building a house! I am therefore looking forward to getting back into it and am already itching to start tweaking. The days of lightened and balanced bottom ends, steel top ends, high lift cams and twin 40's are long gone for me (160 BHP Fiesta Supersport which was great fun and quite successfully road rallied) so I am looking forward to chips and de-cats.

With the above in mind, I am pretty short in cash at present due to the new purchase so was thinking that stage 1 Bluefin, K&N panel filter and possbily de-cat is the way to go for easy / cheap 275 BHP - any comments or suggestions? Better still, anyone have parts for sale?

Cheers
Gar

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 8 Jan 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Gar,
I would think you would be nearer 260-265 with those mods.

Stunning looking motor Philjb. In an ideal world I would like to have a set of 19's, big spoiler, full induction kit, turbo back pipe and stage 3 chip. Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon so tell me...

On a budget, what should I do?

Induction kit or panel filter?
de-cat or not?
Bluefin or other?

Cheers
Gar

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(Garspeed @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stunning looking motor Philjb. In an ideal world I would like to have a set of 19's, big spoiler, full induction kit, turbo back pipe and stage 3 chip. Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon so tell me...

de-cat or not?
Bluefin or other?

Cheers
Gar

Second hand Dreamscience handset for £250 (Or £500 new)
Second hand K&N Gen II induction kit for £100 (Or £200 new)

Don't bother with decat it will void your insurance

That £350 will set you up for about 275bhp I reckon but I's advise on getting an Airtec Gen 3 intercooler when and if it warms up for £270 brand new otherwise the ECU will back off the power due to temperature

Chris

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
QUOTE(Garspeed @ 8 Jan 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stunning looking motor Philjb. In an ideal world I would like to have a set of 19's, big spoiler, full induction kit, turbo back pipe and stage 3 chip. Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon so tell me...

de-cat or not?
Bluefin or other?

Cheers
Gar
Cheers matey, on a budget I would get yourself a secondhand Ds handset which will give you the biggest bang for your buck and a second hand induction kit. Then a set of Eibach springs. eBay is a good place to start.

If you join up as a full member £10 you will get excess to the sales forum on here, also discounts on any new parts you buy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Decat is fine with some insurance companies - I have a the standard downpipe and cat back but with the decat and it has a lovely engine note plus it improves the pops on the gear changes

Would recommend the Dreamscience brand if you want work doing

Welcome to the club

Rob

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(robbie1988 @ 9 Jan 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Decat is fine with some insurance companies - I have a the standard downpipe and cat back but with the decat and it has a lovely engine note plus it improves the pops on the gear changes

Would recommend the Dreamscience brand if you want work doing

Welcome to the club

Rob

Not getting into another decat debate but they will cover it providing it passes an emissions test and is therefore road legal. Legally a car doesn't need a cat - it only needs to pass the emissions test.

An ST will not pass the emissions test without a cat so by driving around with no cat your car is unroadworthy and your insurance company may find a way out of paying out in the case of a claim. It happened to someone I know in his Impreza. He also had a decat declared on his insurance but they refused to pay out for his car. They only paid out to the 3rd party.

His insurance is now extortionate as he has had insurance voided in the past.

Just get a Sports Cat FFS. Cheaper in the long run

1 - 15 of 15 Posts