Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question, I should be picking up my 5DR ST500 later on this week, all being well and good. I'm curious, does the ST require SUL, or does it make little/no difference?

The reason I ask, is because my VXR was recommended to be run on SUL, and actually ran with substantially less power on 95.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The ST doesn't require super unleaded but many on here swear by it, inlcuding myself. Especially if your car is re-mapped, many say SUL will return a small but reasonable amount of extra grunt and miles. Then again many on here only use standard 95. Though I believe the majority run Shell V power. Hope this helps mate

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my only real choice around here is Tesco 99, which is 5p/L more than their NUL.

I guess I'll have to simply try it myself and make my own mind up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same as with the VXR really mate, it will run more power on SUL but wether you can actually feel the difference is negligable, its certainly not night and day

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
has anyone bothered to sit down and do the maths? People say they return more per tank with the more expensive petrol ... do you break even or are you still at a loss when compared to less miles from a cheaper tank?

Let's say 1 complete tank = 300-330 miles (24.8-27.3mpg). That's 55 litres yeah? So, let's call that £60 a tank, a smidge over 109p a litre so not a terrible estiamtion. That comes nicely to £5-£5.50 a mile.
On average, would we say that SUL is 5p a litre more than NUL? So that tank would've cost £62.70, so you'd have to do 313.5-345miles per tank to break even.

I don't use SUL so I don't know what extra distance you can get out of a tank, perhaps someone can fill in the blanks (or destroy my theory
) ... But it does look as though the SUL is a good idea regardless of extra power it may provide.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 11 Jan 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>has anyone bothered to sit down and do the maths? People say they return more per tank with the more expensive petrol ... do you break even or are you still at a loss when compared to less miles from a cheaper tank?

Let's say 1 complete tank = 300-330 miles (24.8-27.3mpg). That's 55 litres yeah? So, let's call that £60 a tank, a smidge over 109p a litre so not a terrible estiamtion. That comes nicely to £5-£5.50 a mile.
On average, would we say that SUL is 5p a litre more than NUL? So that tank would've cost £62.70, so you'd have to do 313.5-345miles per tank to break even.

I don't use SUL so I don't know what extra distance you can get out of a tank, perhaps someone can fill in the blanks (or destroy my theory
) ... But it does look as though the SUL is a good idea regardless of extra power it may provide.

It's late in the day, and I've been writing MINDLESS documentation all day, so my brain is a little addled.

Maybe I have misread/misunderstood your post - but, HUH? By that reckoning a tank of petrol costs £1,500?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always use shell v power and average 30mpg out of the
(Mix of town driving and A roads). I worked it out for my last car, a Lexus IS300, and it was actually cheaper to run it on SUL compared with 95RON.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 11 Jan 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's late in the day, and I've been writing MINDLESS documentation all day, so my brain is a little addled.

Maybe I have misread/misunderstood your post - but, HUH? By that reckoning a tank of petrol costs £1,500?

Yeah, ha, seems I have been doing too much logic junk all day as well, should've said 18p-20p a mile ... the rest still stands, £62.70 of SUL needs to take you around 313-345 miles even with my upside down fractions

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
i dont use sul to get extra mpg myself. i believe a modded car needs higher octane to make sure you get the most out of it. i dont see the point of remapping your car and running it on lower grade fuel. would like to know what views the tuning experts have on this subject. (dreamscience, code:red, superchips etc)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remaps (Well superchips at least, almost certainly!) will be mapped on SUL, so in that case, I'd really recommend SUL.

That said, different manufacturers "map" (I use it in quotes, as most of it is dynamic and based on knock control in most cars) or optimise their cars for different fuels. Like I said, Performance Vauxhalls are designed to run on European 98RON fuel.

·
Registered
481 Posts
30 MPG around town who is getting that

I was informed by Wolfman that i dont need to run SUL with the Code Red

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
QUOTE(theboy @ 11 Jan 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>30 MPG around town who is getting that

I was informed by Wolfman that i dont need to run SUL with the Code Red

30 round town

i'd be lucky to hit 19 MPG

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a light foot

Funnily enough when my girlfriend jumps in the
it drops to about 25mpg, she only gets 34mpg out of a 1.1 Citroen C2

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
28mpg X 12.1 gallons = 338.8 miles per tank

55 litres @ 112p/litre = £61.60

That equates to 18.18p/mile

So, my 400 miles works out at 15.4p/mile

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
QUOTE(STu77 @ 11 Jan 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>30 round town

i'd be lucky to hit 19 MPG

All stop/start town driving on 95Ron and I'm currently showing 21.1 mpg on the computer.. I dream of 30

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I try to use 99 or higher no particular brand unless i am going to a RR i then stick to bpu for the weeks before to try and get the best result (NOT
)I normally get high 20s mpg running my mods (and thats with a 20st right foot).

I have been doing some checks this last month (map removed) and bad weather, i have an average speed of 12 mph with a return of 15.5 mpg. this was only out of curiosity as i know when i first bought an st if your worried about mpg dont get one
just keep filling it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
i use 97 as there isn't a place near me that does 99 and i only get 19.8mpg and im taking it fairly easy most the time too :s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts