Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with me on this.

Is the fuel tank on the ST the same as the other models in the focus range? I presume it is.

With a hungry 2.5 ltr engine drinking the petrol, it's obvious that it will drain quicker and needs to be filled more often.

If Ford had put a bigger fuel tank on the car and it cost more to fill up would we notice as much about mpg?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(kneejerk @ 25 Feb 2010, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please bear with me on this.

Is the fuel tank on the ST the same as the other models in the focus range? I presume it is.

With a hungry 2.5 ltr engine drinking the petrol, it's obvious that it will drain quicker and needs to be filled more often.

If Ford had put a bigger fuel tank on the car and it cost more to fill up would we notice as much about mpg?
The RS gets a larger fuel tank than the ST, maybe 62 litres if I recall

Ford had to redesign the exhaust mid-silencer box to make room for it (narrower and taller), maybe they wouldn't have been able to achieve their exhaust noise design specs if they did this on the ST but can get away with it on the RS.

So in theory the RS will go further between fill-ups, depending how your bottom survives the more sporty seats

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
must admit with a thirsty car like ours i'd rather have a bigger tank so i dont have to fill up quite as often - i hate going to the petrol station

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So in theory the RS will go further between fill-ups, depending how your bottom survives the more sporty seats

I'm glad that Ford are at least taking the engine size into account. A Ford sales guy told me that he got 24 mpg from an ST and 26 mpg from an RS. I don't think it's all in the engine mapping, they are using some different parts too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
QUOTE(Russeh @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>must admit with a thirsty car like ours i'd rather have a bigger tank so i dont have to fill up quite as often - i hate going to the petrol station

my local petrol station is my second home! lol when i tell my mrs im going home she actuall asks if i mean the petrol station lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ive heard a load of complaints about the RS.

I don't think we would notice much difference with the MPG because it would still be drinking the same amoun.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
Mmmmm I still wonder how a certain member on here managed to get 57 litres in his (and he hadn't stuttered to a halt either)

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
my fuel tanks a bottomless pit. no matter how much motion lotion i put in it, its soon looking more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts