Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps,

2012 ST-3 - my fuel gauge is showing right on the bottom of empty but the digital display on the dash is showing over 40 miles to go - any others experiencing the same and/or any way to make the two match up by doing a user reset or something (Ie not going into the dealer?)

Cheers

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
I'd never rely on it being that accurate TBH.
The ultimate reset would be to disconnect the battery for a while.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's why I was asking about he's mpg because the computer will go of the mpg to get the empty miles to go

·
Registered
535 Posts
My gauge will be on empty as in
I need to fill up NOW
But the dist to MT still showing 35 ish

Also you don't get the low fuel on 50 mile ,( as on the mk2 )
its all over the place and sometime s I'm still waiting for the alarm when the needle is of the bottom .
So where do you fill up ?????

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My car was in the showroom, totally drained by law to be inside, they put £15 worth of fuel in and the car was still on the fuel light with 43 miles, then they filled it up when I collected as my sales man was not insured to drive ST or RS so he was driven.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the 06 plate the milles left can go to 0 miles to go and i still di 20 miles it was fine then filled up so i shuld think yrs wood be the same but i necer let i get to 0 now lol
to nevus

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So far in the st I've always filled up at a quarter tank so can't comment on this car but on my 11 plate fiesta I had the needle right at the bottom of the red, and it still showed 30 odd miles left. I would go by the fuel gauge itself as the trip is only an estimation. However both could be wrong. I've had 2 friends, one in a 08 fiesta and one in a 11 fiesta. One run out of fuel because his fuel guage needle got stuck however the trip computer was saying 0 miles lol and the other run out of fuel when the needle said he was out but the trip said he had 20 miles to go lol

Also if the needle is and the red and the trip says xx miles left, could the reverse tank effect this, if it's got one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I initially got the car the two DID match up ok'ish, but with all this carry-on with the damaged wiring loom in the engine bay & the two breakdowns it now doesn't match up.

On one occasion last week I wasn't really paying attention and I probably came quite close to running out of fuel due to the trip computer saying I had 30-odd miles left when the gauge was at the very bottom.

Just wondered if you could do a user reset, the same as you can with the average miles and average speed etc. Pressing and holding the OK button when it is showing miles to empty doesn't reset like it does when the trip computer is showing other values.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As far as I'm aware the miles to empty is the only one you can't reset. Maybe if you disconnect the battery. When I picked mine up. With a full tank of fuel it said 515 miles to empty, the average read 8mpg! So I'm not sure how it calculates the average as im currently averaging 35 mpg and its says 360 miles to empty with a full tank. I've never ever seen that 500 miles to empty again lol

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
It's a computer so will never be 100% accurate as it can't calculate quick enough, when you give it the beans I would have thought the computer will still think your driving like Miss Daisy and not adjust itself

If its like a MK2-3 then by disconnecting the battery would make the issue worse as it then takes the ECU a time to adjust to your driving style and adjust the miles to empty calculations, I did this on mine and from a quarter of a tank the computer was estimating I'd get nearly 100 miles which is way off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont trust my fuel gauge anymore, i was Driving one Night from Lochcarron to inverness remote Highlands, in my Facelift MR290, at 2am, i could see the Streetlights of Inverness in the distant, thought i could make it ok, computer said 30 to go, and the needle was a fraction above Zero, car started pinking, and then ran out, just managed to get it of the Roadway onto grass, i flagged down a Taxi, he took me 2 Miles to Nessie, where i got Juce, My Turbo Gauge only goes up to 1/4 as well, following upgrade, before it would go into the Red Sector when trashed,
The Fuel gauge on my golf is compleatly dead on, just spot on, but the St 3 is not accurate at all,

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I assume the dealer had the battery connections off to repair the damaged loom that caused all m breakdown + cut-out-when-cornering issues (which have now completely gone by the way) so is it a case then of the car taking a few tanks of fuel to re-learn levels etc?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts