Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Premium Member
ST225 - CP340
To be honest (and maybe some would say for once...) this isn't the Gov's fault... BP had some supply chain issues which impacted a small number of their stations. The media totally and utterly blew it out of all proportion and the public panicked. The media then continued to fan the fire with "hourly reports on which local stations still have fuel".

Honestly, it's a farce - and the media are a lot to blame for it all. Alongside the selfish ****** who took the wee with 96 jerry cans - although how many of those pictures are actually real remains to be seen - I've seen the same pic banded around by a few people from "their mate kev/bob/steve/tom/****/harry" at the local station

Anyway, hopefully it all dies down in the next few days as I have and actual trip to go on and it might end up getting cancelled if I can't get fuel along the way.... Joy...

Premium Member
Alan St500
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will die down , it鈥檚 the people who only need to fill up once a month normally who are taking it all once they are all full there should be some form of normality again 馃お and I was behind a tanker driver the other day at the pumps and he said there isn鈥檛 a shortage at all the media have created this situation by making people panic there has been a shortage of drivers for ages but it鈥檚 been managed, it鈥檚 the toilet roll thing all over again 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
2017 ST-3
It's a media that pounces on anything they can use to deride Brexit in the hope of making people want to put the UK back under the control of Brussels. Whatever you think about the pros and cons of Brexit, the way the anti-Brexit media lies to people about it and the damage they are willing to do to the UK while they blithely follow their agenda is disgraceful.

It's a shame so many people are seemingly married to the artificial nanny in the living room...

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
The media, whilst possibly over reporting the issue, are just doing their job. It's people that are eejits.

The person in Teesside with the large amount of jerry cans actually had permission from the garage to fill them, they do it on a weekly basis for their business. That was certainly badly reported.

Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
Its the media for sure, just like the food shortages that only happened due to idiots buying everything.

By me its the idiots that drive around all day with no jobs that are taking the fuel but there is a BP station by me (not naming) that has fuel only for carers and ambulances and are saying they are empty to others. The HGV driver shortages don't help and the bad wages, its good the EU drivers are not helping as its forcing the fuel companies to give better wages or no drivers.

Registered
ST225 modified
100% on the Media this one.

It was a minor supply issue for a few BP stations, yet the TV news and the papers had it as their main headlines. They have then run the 'shortage' story every bullietin and last night I got a BBC Alert saying 'the Army is now on stand-by' !!

All of his coverage inevitably made a few idiots panic and then its been a vicious circle.

Disgraceful.

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
100% on the Media this one.

It was a minor supply issue for a few BP stations, yet the TV news and the papers had it as their main headlines. They have then run the 'shortage' story every bullietin and last night I got a BBC Alert saying 'the Army is now on stand-by' !!

All of his coverage inevitably made a few idiots panic and then its been a vicious circle.

Disgraceful.
It's not a supply issue for BP, it's a general shortage of HGV drivers with the correct certification to drive a fuel tanker. Other fuel suppliers are also suffering, how much so seems to depend on the area of the country. To be fair to the media they also reported that there was no fuel shortage, and that it was a logistics issue, but people have chosen not to take on full details of the situation and gone into panic mode. The army are actually on stand by in case they are needed to drive tankers.

It won't last much longer, there's only so many fuel tanks and jerry cans that can be filled.

Registered
2017 ST-3
20 BP stations were late getting their deliveries and had to close temporarily. They have over 1200. That's hardly a shortage, as espoused by the lousy media in an attempt to panic people.

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
20 BP stations were late getting their deliveries and had to close temporarily. They have over 1200. That's hardly a shortage, as espoused by the lousy media in an attempt to panic people.
Not sure that's true, I was in Kent at the end of last week and all 4 BP stations in the area I was in were shut, along with 2 Shell garages and this was on the night it was announced, before the panic began. So I think 20 BP garages across the country is not a realistic figure.

There is a general shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers which is impacting many industries and fuel stations are just falling foul of that. I have yet to see a media report that says there's an actual fuel shortage as opposed the pumps being dry due to a driver shortage. I admit they're making far too much of it, but the reporting I have seen has been accurate.

Registered
ST225 modified
So many of these 'supply issues' stories are being pushed by the anti-Brexit side trying to blame everything that is 'going wrong' on it.

But the HGV drivers have been ageing and leaving for years. Plus there's been a hold up on tests for new recruits at DVLA Swansea.

Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
So many of these 'supply issues' stories are being pushed by the anti-Brexit side trying to blame everything that is 'going wrong' on it.

But the HGV drivers have been ageing and leaving for years. Plus there's been a hold up on tests for new recruits at DVLA Swansea.
I'm not overly convinced that Brexit is the major cause of it, and I was a remainer. It hasn't helped, but there are HGV driver shortages all across Europe. Poland, for example, are short 140,000. Covid has played a large part in this, probably larger than Brexit. The governments feable attempt to fix it by allowing 5000 visas for European HGV drivers is just that, it won't fill the huge gap and it's unlikely to attract foreign drivers until the UK matches the rest of Europe for the amount of money that's been put in to train and pay drivers that other countries have - we just don't offer the same working conditions as the rest of Europe and working in the UK as a HGV driver isn't an attractive proposition.

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
Too add to all the other previous valid points. In the mix as well apparently are the changes to IR35 tax status. Seemingly a lot of overseas (and some UK) drivers packed up and left when the rules were tightened.

Premium Member
I had a genuine need to fill the daily up this past weekend, the fuel was down to red and we have several important journeys this week for the kids (medical etc).

The Tesco forecourt was full but I only had to queue for about two minutes. I brimmed it as normal and it came to about 拢55.

I actually felt like a selfish ***** for doing so, but that guilt rapidly subsided when the old fool filling his car up in front of me clicked off and had a sale of 拢13 showing... so realistically, topped up from about 3/4 tank. I hope I'm not such a **** when I get to that age.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts