Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hiya...

I read lots of posts regarding fuel consumption. Its the one thing that concerns me when looking at buying an ST. I currently drive an ST170. The fuel economy on it isnt great.

I was wondering if anyone else had upgraded to the newer ST having previously owned an ST170 and whether their fuel costs rose dramatically?

Does it use significantly more fuel?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Assume 23-26 mpg in mixed motoring. I had a ST170, probably the worst car I owned (too hard, tractor gear box, not that quick unless you thrash it), the new ST will add a few hundred to your annual fuel bill but believe me the difference is more than worth it, the ST170 is no comparison.

I sold my second ST-2 to a guy who had just sold his ST170, he was amazed with the diffe rence.

It is thirsty, but worth it unless you do a lot of miles a year.

goood luck in your search.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Fuel consumption will usually be worse by say 10-20% depending how you drive etc.

But the car's 100% better than the ST170 so that offset's it easy.

I had 2 ST170's before the ST so I thought I was used to having a car that liked petrol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Came from a ST200 mondeo which averaged around 26/28 again depending on how you drove it.

Yes the Focus ST does drink fuel but if you can behave yourselve (extremely hard!) you can get anything from 23 to 28 mpg - I have a friend with a ST500 who drives like miss daisy who managed 40mpg on a motorway run.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im sure you wont be disappointed, as said before the joy far outweighs the fuel economy. Id be interested to know what suprises the 2010 model has over the previous, as ford always seems to tuck some away. As for my experience, I dont commute, but on a mix of A and B roads I get around 23-28 mpg. On Motorways its much better, on a 700 mile trip in France im looking at about 34mpg, but thats 6th gear for hours and hours with nothing but tractors to overtake.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE(STIOM @ 24 Jan 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think your on the wrong site if your after mpg
it's all about the speed and looks here man! £50 quid of v-power = 250 miles.

If youre worried about the mpg get yourself on the M6, the average speed cameras will keep you in check

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
If your worried about how thirsty the
is you've brought the wrong car
. I've lost count of the number of people that have brought an ST only to sell it 6 months later because they can't afford to run it.

I've been drive like an old lady and I'm only seeing 24MPG at best in this cold weather!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my ST2 from new when the facelift version came out.I have had 21 months of fun and was averaging 27mpg with Dreamscience on DSCI mode.

It was killing me that i had to drive it "like an old man" to get a decent mpg so i thought there was no point owning an ST if i'm worried every time the turbo needle moves.

So enjoy your ST but if you are worried about the mpg you may fall out of love with it...

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
i do alot of short, stop/start town driving and mines showing 17mpg at the minute
still love it, even though its as thirsty as me on a night out
lots of people have names for their
, i dont, but if i did it would probably be called george best

·
Registered
481 Posts
QUOTE(STIOM @ 24 Jan 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1.8 petrol freelander

Could have done with that last week!

As for the mpg, get the bus rkid. I'ts cheap, safe and you can be drunk while on board

Must admit last few weeks have been only time i wish i had the heap of
back!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've had mine since Thursday and I had an ST170 as my last car. So far I don't think it's been bad on fuel. I half filled the tank with petrol on Friday and it's now exactly on a quarter tank and for that I got 80 miles on the trip meter, better than the ST170..... My driving has been mixed, villages, town, a bit on the motorway and not going daft, but driving it normally. The average fuel it's showing is 26.6 mpg so it seems pretty accurate.

·
Registered
619 Posts
QUOTE(NobbysNuts @ 31 Jan 2010, 06:09 PM) I've had mine since Thursday and I had an ST170 as my last car. So far I don't think it's been bad on fuel. I half filled the tank with petrol on Friday and it's now exactly on a quarter tank and for that I got 80 miles on the trip meter, better than the ST170..... My driving has been mixed, town, a bit on the motorway and not going daft, but driving it normally. The average fuel it's showing is 26.6 mpg so it seems pretty accurate.

Thanks mate. I've ordered a new ST3 but don't get it until March. So looking forward to it! The ST170 generally isn't great on fuel. 26.6 mpg sounds good for the ST. Would love to see some pics of your new car! Did you go for the black alloys?

·
Registered
202 Posts
QUOTE(kzfocus @ 1 Feb 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks mate. I've ordered a new ST3 but don't get it until March. So looking forward to it! The ST170 generally isn't great on fuel. 26.6 mpg sounds good for the ST. Would love to see some pics of your new car! Did you go for the black alloys?

Hi mate. The mpg is creeping up still. It's in the 27's now and I'm not driving it like a grandma, just being sensible but still having fun. I did get the car with the black alloys, which I wasn't sure about as I'd only seen pictures of it. But it looked great when I picked it up on Thursday, they compliment the white paint work and the privacy glass very nicely... Only problem with them is they show all the dirt and brake dust, so keeping them clean is a nightmare, bit like the body work as well. Once the weather picks up I'm going to get some layers of wax onto it so it will repel the dirt a bit better.

Couple of pictures

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the pics! The car looks awesome. I like the white colour with the black alloys. I opted for performance blue. How are you finding your first week with the ST? I've only test drove one once but was amazed at the performance compared to the ST170. It's a level above!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.