Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an un-diluted Halfords screen-wash mix in my washer bottle.

I went out to the car this morning and it appeared they were frozen ... temp reading -3.5C.

As it was dark when I left the house I had my lights on (and heated screen) and after about 5 miles I tried them again ... the bumper jets for the Xenon lights worked but the windscreen jets still refused to ... I could hear the pump though so I don't think it's a fuse.

I would have though if the bottle was frozen that neither would work ... and also that having the heated screen on will de-ice the bonnet jets ?

Is the above happening with anyone else, or does it indicate a problem that one is working fine and the other isn't ?

after a 45 minute drive the bonnet jets still didn't work.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
hi mate .
mine used to do this and it realy got my back up .
in the end i re routed the jets to the actuall wiper arms ie got wiper mounted jets from the new terburg tugs in work "i work on docks in essex"and fed silicone pipeing to the jets from original pipework on car .
Now i no this has left the actuall pipework more exposed to the elements but they dont freeze up for some reason now and as the jets i used are four way ones i now have 8 jets of water comeing on to the screen and have no bits the jets dont reach as per standard set up .
what sort of mix are you useing in the screen wash as if you havent enough screen wash it will ice up quicker .

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE(dee4life2005 @ 8 Jan 2010, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have an un-diluted Halfords screen-wash mix in my washer bottle.

I went out to the car this morning and it appeared they were frozen ... temp reading -3.5C.

As it was dark when I left the house I had my lights on (and heated screen) and after about 5 miles I tried them again ... the bumper jets for the Xenon lights worked but the windscreen jets still refused to ... I could hear the pump though so I don't think it's a fuse.

I would have though if the bottle was frozen that neither would work ... and also that having the heated screen on will de-ice the bonnet jets ?

Is the above happening with anyone else, or does it indicate a problem that one is working fine and the other isn't ?

after a 45 minute drive the bonnet jets still didn't work.

Mine was the same this morning. Drove from crewe (-11 degrees there) to Derby and they were frozen all the way, no matter how much heated front / rear screen I used they wouldnt defrost. Beginning to think they arent heated!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
There was a thread on this a few weeks back, the jets are heated, but if the water freezes in the pipes it cant get to the jets. In this weather even neat screanwash will freeze.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
hi guys, i've had this problem also. its the hoses from the washer bottle to the jets that are freezing. i moved mine, from between the sound deadning and the bonnet to underneath the sound deadning so that the heat of the engine gets at them better. seems to have helped so far

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine too were frozen solid but a bigger problem for me is the heated front screen just swiches itself off after about 3-4 mins
, is this normal because in doing this is simply doesn't melt even the slightest bit of frost?? The rear screen also switches itself off but at least it melts the frost and stays on for a good 10 mins..

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Guys,

if you have enough screenwash in, it wont be the pipes that are freezing, usually what happens is that normal water collects in the washer housing on the bonnet and freezes, and the ice formed blocks the front of the jets so water cant get through. The water comes from the snow / ice on the bonnet that melts when you drive the car. Best advice is put a pin in the car ( I stick mine into teh headlining above the sun visor, and just clear the ice out the front of the jet housing...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Or carry a Lucozade squirty water bottle with you and stick your hand out the window when you stop at the lights.... Ok that sucks but is what I have done the last few days since they dont seem to defrost.

The windows turns off after a bit for me too but I think it is more than 2 or 3 minutes at least (tho not as long as the back window)

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(Gaz M @ 8 Jan 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine too were frozen solid but a bigger problem for me is the heated front screen just swiches itself off after about 3-4 mins
, is this normal because in doing this is simply doesn't melt even the slightest bit of frost?? The rear screen also switches itself off but at least it melts the frost and stays on for a good 10 mins..

Thats normnal mate, the front will turn off after 5 mins ish. I think its becuase its quite power intensive.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE(Gaz M @ 8 Jan 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine too were frozen solid but a bigger problem for me is the heated front screen just swiches itself off after about 3-4 mins

Mine tends to clear the screen in under a couple of minutes, i end up turning it off before it turns itself off!

·
Registered
452 Posts
QUOTE(mbaker @ 8 Jan 2010, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys,

if you have enough screenwash in, it wont be the pipes that are freezing, usually what happens is that normal water collects in the washer housing on the bonnet and freezes, and the ice formed blocks the front of the jets so water cant get through. The water comes from the snow / ice on the bonnet that melts when you drive the car. Best advice is put a pin in the car ( I stick mine into teh headlining above the sun visor, and just clear the ice out the front of the jet housing...

ye mine where frozen this morning but i just put my thumb over the end of the nozel for like 10 seconds to try and melt the ice, when i tryed them after that they worked.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine does this...i think when i get the feeling back in my hands because of the cold will reroute the washer pipes as suggested above.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine was doing the same yesterday. I took the car out for a 30 min drive with the front screen heating on but still no luck. Got back home and opened the bonnet and removed the sound deadening panel. I squirted some warm water over the pipes directly where it connects to the washer jets and both jets worked perfectly after that. Looks like the screen wash has frozen inside the pipes. I only bought my car recently and the guy who I bought it off had filled the screen wash up, but I reckon its not suitable for these low temps. Going to go to Halfords and get some Comma Xtreme.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
My washer jets work ok, but even with highly-concentrated screen-wash the liquid freezes instantly on the screen and smears so I cant see...

Need to put the heated windscreen on for a few mins first to avoid this which is a pain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts