Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my washer jets have frozen up, even tho car has been on a 10 mile trip home, still frozen, i thought they where heated or am i wrong, ( my st is realy dirty
)

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I've done a 50 mile round trip this evening outside temp gauge showed -3 degrees the whole time. The washer jets didn't unfreeze the whole way. Infact I still had ice on my bonnet when I got back and I was doing some decent speed.

I'm putting pure concentrate in when I fill it up.

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
You also need decent stuff to, not the ready mixed stuff Halfords and supermarkets sell.

The stuff I use is good for -35 iirc.

The supermarket stuff is only good for -5 and that's easy to get below when you take into account of wind chill.

·
Registered
480 Posts
my rear washer jet hasn't worked for over a week in this weather, the fronts sometimes work, sometimes don't. usually find if I park in the sun during day they defrost but never work in a morning. joys of a black car.

I don't use mine much (car, i mean) so I've still got a fair bit of summer grade screen wash in it. time to get myself down to shell and buy some of their good stuff I think.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Is it a good idea to put pure concentrate in the washer bottle? Years ago I stained a bonnet doing that and had to have it re-sprayed. Maybe times have moved on regarding the content.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Check the temps on the ready mixed stuff. The pink one from halfords goes lower than the blue. And when mixing concentrate, the instructions normally guide you on a ratio for cold temps. I haven't seen any ready mixed stuff in the UK that goes to really low temps so I bought a couple of cans in Germany. Aldi were selling some the other day but I didn't check the temps.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Dito what Nick says - I would not be putting pure concentrate in!

Also remember you need to keep turning the heated windscreen back on to defrost the jets, more likely to defrost if car is in traffic / stationary thatn cruusing down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts