Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the car this morning, I think the temp was something like -5. Went to put the car into neutral and couldn't, the gear leaver was frozen solid!

Anyone else had this problem before. I've never had this before!

Can I change the oil to something better?

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 22 Dec 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got in the car this morning, I think the temp was something like -5. Went to put the car into neutral and couldn't, the gear leaver was frozen solid!

Anyone else had this problem before. I've never had this before!

Can I change the oil to something better?

We have had temps down to -20C over here in Germany this last week and not had any problems with the gearbox/gear selection.

HTH

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont I?

The other problem I had was leaking window seals, that was caused by wind deflectors the previous owners installed which I had pulled off. Fixed it now with a hairdryer and pushing the seals inwards. Everything else seems to be fine with the car. Just was a bit odd finding the gearbox solid!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully, we'll see tomorrow morning. How easy is it to change the gearbox oil?

I've got 6l of Mobil 1 and 5 RS plugs to go in in the next few days, as the oil in there now is
. Might as well do the gearbox too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You will prob find its either a ceased linkage in the selector tower or there may possibly be water ingress into the selector cables

which has frozen and stopped the cables from moving,

Gearbox oil is commonly rated by an ep number EP80 EP90 EP75-90 EP120,

As a rule the higher the number the thicker the oil.

I have no idea what oil goes in the ST box, But would take a stab in the dark thats its EP75 - 90 Synthetic.

Gearbox oil would have to be way below -50c before it got close to freezing, infact am unsure that oil freezes at all.

Cheers

Dave

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 22 Dec 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WHat bits did you lubricate?lube everything at the bottom of the shaft trist. (startin to sound rude this topic
) it will just seep down under the car onto the road. if you hav a nice driveway do it in your neighbours drive
use wd40 as its water dispersant hence the wd,

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 22 Dec 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lol it is sounding rude

So where the gear stick shaft slots into the selector mechanism, just lube there right?
thats right mate,drown it, it wll just keep seeping away. select all the gears half a dozen times and that should sort it for you. makes the shift slicker and less notchy too, which is a nice side effect. hope that sorts it for you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts