Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit of advise please.
Got in the car this morning and begun to clear the screen as i usually do ie heater and heated front screen switch on and heard a crack
!
Once screen was clear i could see it had cracked from aprox 5 inches up the screen right acroos from side to side .
Now i know il need a new one but has anyone insisted there insurers fit an original ford one ??
heard some horror storys about after market ones etc etc and was wondering is this possible to have done ?
Also when it comes to haveing one fitted is there anything i need to look out for ?as im real fussy with the car !
Had one done ages ago and found the guy had damaged all the surrounds on the a pillars with his soding knife so am a bit weary as to what else to keep my eyes out for .
Thanks all ,hopefully somone can shed some light on this for me

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
I know if the car is still in warranty you must get an oe ford one. I would just ring your insurance and ask?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ta phil been trying to get threw to them for 30 mins ....guess with this weather they have a few claims to get sorted !!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Best take care on mine when using the heated screen in this temperature

I had a new windscreen on my ST170 in the summer and although it wasn't a Ford one (Pilkington I think) but didn't have any problems with it, I ensured it was a heated screen and it's always worth making sure all the elements work as they should and that you get no "blank" patches, where the connections may not be made. Think it was Autoglass and I've always found them decent enough.

Sorry can't be of anymore help

QUOTE(PHILJB @ 7 Jan 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know if the car is still in warranty you must get an oe ford one. I would just ring your insurance and ask?

That's something I didn't realise, everyday's a school day

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glenn, I'am sure you can ask the repairers to fit like for like as I did when mine broke I even asked for the same make so they all still match because your insurance is like for like.

Happy New Year

Roger

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy new year to you aswell Rog Mate.
still cant get threw to insurers but will have to see what they say .
Have to meet up soon Rog .

·
Registered
366 Posts
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 7 Jan 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Happy new year to you aswell Rog Mate.
still cant get threw to insurers but will have to see what they say .
Have to meet up soon Rog .

mate, what about coming to the run for cover meet in Dartford on 27th Wed evening you might even win the trophy!!!!!

weather permitting.

Roger

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Try having a ring round some smaller independant places for a quote, I think it's about £250 - £300 (avoiding the big companies), they charge more like £5-600

You might find its cheaper not to use your insurance in the long run.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Shouldn't it cost around £50-£80 excess without affecting your no claims? At least that's how most insurance companies do it or is it just me?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Windscreen are covered with a small excess that doesnt a effect your NCB but if it's not mentioned to the company replacing the glass will more than likely fit a non oe part.

I had mine changed which wasnt OE but the only difference was the shaded area by the rear view mirror wasn't as big but I have seen some that have smaller heated elements too.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,446 Posts
I had a non OEM Pilkington fitted by Autoglass earlier this year.
No complaints about the screen or the installation.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
When i had mine replaced i insisted that a genuine ford screen was fitted.

They obliged and the insurance company never said a word !!!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks guys ,will try calling the insurers again tom ,been unable top get threw to them today .
just checked policy and have 60 excess to pay so all ok provided they will supply oe screen il get auto glass or such like to sort it tom if they can

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
....UPDATE...
Spoke to insurers this morning who have informed me that i can have original ford front screen if i take it to fords as oposed to auto glass but have to pay £80:00 if i do as opossed to £60:00 with auto glass so may aswell pay the x tra £20:00 and have original screen .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts