Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car in yesterday to check the head lights as I cant really see where I am going unless on highbeam. Picked up last night in the dark and drove home, lights better now but if anything too high (never happy me) as few cars flashed me and road sign reflections are blinding... at least I can see better now the rest of the time.

Anyway point is that in the light today I had a quick look round the car to check for any dings and also under the front bumper having just had it lowered (Eibachs)

Suprise suprise the front lip is scraped in the two corners that go slightly lower than the rest of the lip. No doubt comming off/going on the ramp.

To be fair its not too bad and it is underneath out of sight but it shouldnt really have happened. Called the garage and waiting for a call back from manager but not too sure what to do as probably more hassle than its worth (car in for repair, no car for a few days, bumper comes back different colour etc etc)

Anyone simmilar experience or thoughts on what I should do?

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
There's a good chance the front bumper was damaged coming off the transporter when the car was delivered. I think you'll find that a large percentage of ST's have scuffs. Especially lowered ones. Both mine did. You can't see it unless you are lying on the ground so it didn't bother me.

Regards the headlights. Harrison's should have reset the headlights using their MOT beam setter thingy after they lowered it. I will reprimand them next time i'm in

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
hi matey .
did you tell them the cars been lowerd?
when mine goes in to frauds i alway just stick a note on the drivers seat and so far"touch wood"they havent damaged it !!
anoying tho as they must of been aware that they damaged it ,and wouldnt it be nice for them to just call and have the decency to explain whats happend.
pesonally i doubt youl get any where as youv left there premesis and then noticed the damage .

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definately new scrapes as I check the car relgiously. Unfortunately I never mentioned it was lowered but wish I had now and couldnt check when I picked it up as was pitch black.

As for the lights, Harrisons did talk about them and I believe they were adjusted at the time. Maybe the MOT setting is just plain
as Evans did say they appeared to be ok and were spot on (but then later found a switch was not working properly apparently and they are definately now higher)

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
QUOTE(AlanK @ 10 Feb 2010, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Definately new scrapes as I check the car relgiously. Unfortunately I never mentioned it was lowered but wish I had now and couldnt check when I picked it up as was pitch black.

As for the lights, Harrisons did talk about them and I believe they were adjusted at the time. Maybe the MOT setting is just plain
as Evans did say they appeared to be ok and were spot on (but then later found a switch was not working properly apparently and they are definately now higher)

Remember you can adjust them yourself. But do it one turn at a time and count the turns so that you can get them back to how they were if you go to far.

I would leave the bumper alone. Most colours are hard to match. But i would imagine electric white would be a right pain. Perhaps just a little touch-up paint would do.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(Allan @ 10 Feb 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Remember you can adjust them yourself. But do it one turn at a time and count the turns so that you can get them back to how they were if you go to far.

I would leave the bumper alone. Most colours are hard to match. But i would imagine electric white would be a right pain. Perhaps just a little touch-up paint would do.

I tried myself but could only see one screw that only turned left to right (actually it didnt seem to do anything but there was a slight vibration to one side when I turned it)

Yeah, thinking I will leave well alone - will see what they say when the call.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Alan as has already been said this is a very common place for an ST to be scraped,and it does not need to be lowered either for it to happen.

I am the same as you and would be annoyed but it is inevitable that part of the bumper will be scraped sooner or later with all the speed bumps on the roads these days

Have a wee check on Sat at the RR Day and you will find most are scraped in the identical place,it looks far worse on any other colour when compared to White though.

Unfortunately I don't fancy your chances of a decent paint match if you decided to get a repair done as your car is Electric White,my local dealer is advising people not to buy an Electric White Ford of any model as worse case scenerio and in the event of an accident repair needing done they can not guarantee a good paint match.

I will speak to you on Saturday but there is another Scottish member currently dealing with Trading Standards after having problems with the dealer I think you mention(not Harrisons I might add they are great
)

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Recently one of the many monster potholes that have appeared court me out and i too scuffed the bottom of the front lip, same place as yours and out of site. Mines standard and i'm endlessly careful to avoid these things but i've just come to the conclution its inevitable. Its out of site so i'm going to leave it, its not worth the hassle of the respray/color match etc.

Although at the time of doing it i was so mad at myself lol, i've got over it now though

Russ

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I bet all ST's with Eibach's have scraped under bumpers, I know mine is pretty bad but you can't see it unless laid underneath.

All cars I've had with a lower frontend than normal have been scraped, even on std ride height, MR2, P1 etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
when you pick up scrape on the underside of the bumper like that check the plastic undertray, make sure it is still connected as it only clips on at the front.

Ford scrapped mine when it was in getting serviced once, I drove 5 mins up the road and the undertray and a wheelarch liner ripped off!! They never admitted to it, apparently it was just a coincedence (yeah right!!). But they are all so nice and generous that they fixed it for free!!

It was put down to scrapping the front and popping the clips off, then at speed it all fell off!! Made one hell of a noise!!!

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
25,392 Posts
QUOTE(lee.blade @ 10 Feb 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when you pick up scrape on the underside of the bumper like that check the plastic undertray, make sure it is still connected as it only clips on at the front.

Ford scrapped mine when it was in getting serviced once, I drove 5 mins up the road and the undertray and a wheelarch liner ripped off!! They never admitted to it, apparently it was just a coincedence (yeah right!!). But they are all so nice and generous that they fixed it for free!!

It was put down to scrapping the front and popping the clips off, then at speed it all fell off!! Made one hell of a noise!!!
Happened to me when I bought the car (on the journey home).
The dealer fitted a new undertray and a new bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.