Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,112 Posts
Got flashed in the face last night by a speed camera

BUT, I thought the ones that are 'forward-facing', to take a picture of the front of the vehicle, had an invisible 'flash' so not to distract the driver ?

There seemed to be no cars close by going in the opposite direction at the time ...

I think there used to be one for cars going the other way on that road but it was vandalised years ago.

Ant thoughts chaps ?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Were you speeding at the time?

p.s - The only camera that takes a photo from the front is the Truvelo camera system, which has an infra red flash.
I doubt it'd be you they have took the photo of - it's been known before for Gatsos (the yellow ones) to flash if birds fly passed at a quicker speed than the road's limit.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,256 Posts
Some counties do have cameras that take picture from the front. Supposed to stop people getting someone else to carry the can.

I can vouch from personal experience that these cameras do have conventional flashes - or at least they did when I got done a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 20 Nov 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can vouch from personal experience that these cameras do have conventional flashes - or at least they did when I got done a few years ago.
I'm not sure this is the case anymore - have a look at this website, it shows all the different types of cameras, and as I've previously posted, the only camera that takes the photo from the front is the Truvelo camera which has an infra-red flash, not conventional.

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Gatso

·
1,285 Posts
The law now states that a camera facing you CANNOT have a flash as its distracting to the driver. I know in London, they never have had forward facing flashes.

The truvelo ones are infrared as mentioned.

Was the camera on the opposite side of the road or on your side?

If it was on the other side, chances are the beam that was set to capture cars has stretched across onto your carraigeway and it will capture cars coming the other way. If thats the case and the camera WAS on the other side of the road, then it wasn't meant for you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
when i looked into this they cant use forward facing flash pictures as evidence in court as for some reason there not regulated for use in the UK. So if u do get caught speeding by one it cant get used.

I done
past one on the opposite side of the road before and it flashed and i never heard anything so shouldnt worry!

·
Super Moderator
Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line Tech 230
8,086 Posts
QUOTE(Glenster @ 20 Nov 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i looked into this they cant use forward facing flash pictures as evidence in court as for some reason there not regulated for use in the UK. So if u do get caught speeding by one it cant get used.

I done
past one on the opposite side of the road before and it flashed and i never heard anything so shouldnt worry!

Not the sort of thing you should be shouting about too much fella , you never know who is looking

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(FastEddie @ 20 Nov 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got flashed in the face last night by a speed camera
BUT, I thought the ones that are 'forward-facing', to take a picture of the front of the vehicle, had an invisible 'flash' so not to distract the driver ?
There seemed to be no cars close by going in the opposite direction at the time ...I think there used to be one for cars going the other way on that road but it was vandalised years ago.Ant thoughts chaps ?looks like 3 points and a fine m8
QUOTE(PHILJB @ 20 Nov 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder if some of them just flash at randome to keep us on our toes?

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked yesterday and the lines on the road are on the other side ...

The camera definately appeared to flash at me though, as the cars on the other side were a good way up the road ...

I was doing about 35-40 downhill on a 30mph road ... I'll just have to wait and see if I get a NIP in the next 14 days

·
1,285 Posts
It will need to flash twice as it needs two readings to establish the speed as you go through.

If it is on the other side of the road facing you, and the lines are on the other side, then don't worry. They settings will be set for cars coming the other way and the beam for capture would have been set to far onto your carraigeway, hence why you were flashed. Its a common fault for "narrow" roads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts