Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Do you mean atmospheric dump valve?

The general consensus is that dump valves are bad for the ST. This is mainly down to the ST already having a recirculating DV as standard.
It can cause ESP and fueling issues/errors.

If you really do want one, the Collins one sounds the best.

Edit
Infact. Ignore the comment above. This is an atmospheric unit which directly replaces the standard unit.

Not many people seem to go for these, but in my eyes it's a lot better than the conventional type of DV as these replace the standard unit

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes I run one of these sounds good I like it, I also run a forge recirc valve I have had no problems what so ever running he DV and if anything I have found it better ! A lot people on hear don't like them so say they don't work but some have had issues with running one generally on pre facelift not sure it matters though but get it fitted properly and should be ok.

I've had mine for 6 months now I'm running 305bhp so it's not causing any issues in that department. Lol

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Yes I run one of these sounds good I like it, I also run a forge recirc valve I have had no problems what so ever running he DV and if anything I have found it better ! A lot people on hear don't like them so say they don't work but some have had issues with running one generally on pre facelift not sure it matters though but get it fitted properly and should be ok.

I've had mine for 6 months now I'm running 305bhp so it's not causing any issues in that department. Lol
The people who have issues run the conventional type along with the standard recirculating one.

This ones much better as it eliminates the standard one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you are fitting an aftermarket atmospheric dump valve then you should be really removing the recirculating one and fitting the blanking plate, this is why forge made a plate specifically for that purpose

I would be willing to bet that half of the problems do actually come about because people rush into buying a dump valve because it "sounds cool" without having much idea what they are actually for, and then don't realise that they already have one fitted in the first place.

You have to ask yourself if fitting one, will the system work better with two fitted?

For what it's worth the idea of having a dump valve closer to the throttle body makes more sense than having one on the turbo, particularly given that its sole purpose is to stop the turbo getting damaged by pressure, it backs up at the throttle body it makes sense to dump it from there before it gets pushed back to the turbo

·
Registered
24,177 Posts

The reason "some people on here dont like them" is because they screw up the fueling! By the way if you are running what the OP is asking about how are you running a recirc valve too? They both fit in the same hole! Oh and a dv will have no negative effects on a rolling road as the problems only occur when you are getting on and off the throttle not at wide open throttle!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
As Mick and Fishy say its when going on and off the throttle, the response time that is the negative aspect. Thats if it aint goin into limp mode and throwing lights on. In fact I have a DV in my garage i will sell it for £20 and the cost of the carriage if anybody wants to share the issues I suffered! Great fun going down the motorway going into limp mode!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
To me, the Forge atmo dump that replaces the stock one should create errors too. It still loses that metered air to atmosphere.

I would not run any aftermarket dump other than a Forge recirculating, or Elevate recirculating valve.

It's been said a million times, if you want chav, get a full intake and you will hear it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me, the Forge atmo dump that replaces the stock one should create errors too. It still loses that metered air to atmosphere.

I would not run any aftermarket dump other than a Forge recirculating, or Elevate recirculating valve.

It's been said a million times, if you want chav, get a full intake and you will hear it.
Thank you mate, I think that makes my mind up, recirculating it will be, now which one, Forge or Elevate?!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Either one will do the trick, pick your supplier and brand. I have a Forge in mine, had it for ages, never a problem, but the new Elevate one looks slick. I'll be fitting one to a friend's car soon so get to test it. Also be fitting a turbo pipe, Elevate boost solenoid and Collins actuator. The car is stage 3 on DS ModX so will be interesting to adjust and test.
I think later he will get RS injectors and either PS U412 or DS Ultima map, if Ultima is good, it's the likely choice as he has an Ultra handset.

·
Registered
480 Posts
because people think they sound cool and will buy them to sound fast.

in reality you lose a lot of pressure across the turbo, meaning it slows down much quicker between gear shifts, increasing the turbo's response time once you get back on the throttle, as well as increasing turbo lag, all of which will slow you down.

·
Registered
647 Posts
mountune special for today is their valve for under £90 !
get that , cheaper and wont fork things up , then get an open cone intake for even more noise

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
why on earth would you want to fit a DV in parallel to another, absolutely no benefit to that whatsoever and the advert summed it up nicely for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts