Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
7,764 Posts
@Mart1976 @Dannymojo

You guys could always volunteer and get a group together to help organise the day, thats basically what we did as staff years ago :yep:

Lets face it, the club is now owned by a company looking at footfall (virtual) rather than what helped keep the club popular, so there's no interest from them :nope:

· Registered
4,371 Posts
@Mart1976 @Dannymojo

You guys could always volunteer and get a group together to help organise the day, thats basically what we did as staff years ago :yep:

Lets face it, the club is now owned by a company looking at footfall (virtual) rather than what helped keep the club popular, so there's no interest from them :nope:
Ive already started my own group Geoff and even though it's only got 30 active members gained within the last 3 months I've just managed to secure a spot on the day ...and I've been organising more shows and meets as well as a few tunnel runs into London which even had a few people come along from the northern Territory too .
This is what clubs are about regular meets and just enjoying our pride and joys and getting to know new people with great enthusiasm towards cars like ours .

· Registered
7,764 Posts
Ive already started my own group Geoff and even though it's only got 30 active members gained within the last 3 months I've just managed to secure a spot on the day ...and I've been organising more shows and meets as well as a few tunnel runs into London which even had a few people come along from the northern Territory too .
This is what clubs are about regular meets and just enjoying our pride and joys and getting to know new people with great enthusiasm towards cars like ours .
Sounds good Mart, its good to see people planning meets :yep: but I kind of meant volunteer and organise through the club (not facebook). Now this isn't aimed at you personally but I don't get why people criticise the organisation of the club at Ford Fair when they aren't willing to help out. Rather than people highlight the issues and criticise, maybe get involved and right the wrongs that's been highlighted, it was always organised on a volunteer basis via the staff, Admin and some area reps but like the club as a whole, all these numbers have diminished, so having people who are willing and able to step forward, recognise the issues and right them, could be all that's needed to get it back to how it was.

With that said, the club at Ford Fair (and maybe as a whole) has never been the same since Jim sold the club and it's felt a bit soulless ever since in my opinion, so I understand the resistance by people to volunteer and for what ? Some faceless company we don't even know, who won't appreciate it !! :nope: ...... but I guarantee you or anybody else that intends on volunteering, the guys on here, that are attending, will more than appreciate it and that's whats more important :yep:

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Sounds good Mart, its good to see people planning meets :yep: but I kind of meant volunteer and organise through the club (not facebook). Now this isn't aimed at you personally but I don't get why people criticise the organisation of the club at Ford Fair when they aren't willing to help out. Rather than people highlight the issues and criticise, maybe get involved and right the wrongs that's been highlighted, it was always organised on a volunteer basis via the staff, Admin and some area reps but like the club as a whole, all these numbers have diminished, so having people who are willing and able to step forward, recognise the issues and right them, could be all that's needed to get it back to how it was.

With that said, the club at Ford Fair (and maybe as a whole) has never been the same since Jim sold the club and it's felt a bit soulless ever since in my opinion, so I understand the resistance by people to volunteer and for what ? Some faceless company we don't even know, who won't appreciate it !! :nope: ...... but I guarantee you or anybody else that intends on volunteering, the guys on here, that are attending, will more than appreciate it and that's whats more important :yep:
Thats a good point Geoff, as most of the members on here dont realise this! But, maybe when the club announces Fordfair (Gordon, opening this thread for example). Could explain there will be knowone representing the club there, no club flags, knowone to organise parking etc etc so we then we all know what to expect or as you have rightly said we volunteer to do it. Maybe make a list of certain jobs we can volunteer to do. It seems were kept in the dark about it. New members are turning up for there first FordFair experience having spent money to 'Park On Stand' expecting much much more. Last year was by far the worse, it was just basically a free for all carpark!

· Registered
7,764 Posts
Thats a good point Geoff, as most of the members on here dont realise this! But, maybe when the club announces Fordfair (Gordon, opening this thread for example). Could explain there will be knowone representing the club there, no club flags, knowone to organise parking etc etc so we then we all know what to expect or as you have rightly said we volunteer to do it. Maybe make a list of certain jobs we can volunteer to do. It seems were kept in the dark about it. New members are turning up for there first FordFair experience having spent money to 'Park On Stand' expecting much much more. Last year was by far the worse, it was just basically a free for all carpark!
I don't know who even orders the tickets and arranges the club to be at the show anymore but I assume its still Amanda but with the members buying direct from Ford Fair? Anyway, regardless of who or how its done, if we can't get volunteers before hand, then maybe the club shouldn't be arranging a placement at Ford Fair !! Like you say, people are paying their money and expecting some sort of organisation but are being misled if this is the case.

I'm unsure of how this goes forward but I think unless the Club can get volunteers to help organise the day, it should stop arranging ticket sales, you park in the main car park with at least some direction from a steward :lol: and lets face it arranging an event with a free for all on the day, probably does more harm than good to the reputation of the club, a club which has won the best stand a number of years :1a: ... ooooohhhh the good old days :sob:

· Registered
707 Posts
Really interesting reading guys! Personally I've only attended 3 events with a car club, all were at Silverstone and all were with the Ford Focus owners club (fordfair and 2 btcc rounds). Have to say their presentation of themselves and the cars was very good... flags, banners, a little gazebo to sell merchandise from... they were very visual about who they were.... the cars were laid out well too...they guided you into your space and told you exactly how they wanted the car parked... and if it wasn't right you did it again! It worked though and the stand looked good, all the mk1s together, all the mk2s together, all the mk3s together.
For the most part I think it was all took care of by one person with a couple of helpers.. so all of them did a great job.

I've only been on here a few months, so I'm quite surprised by what I'm reading re. recent events!

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
I have no idea on what's involved to make these things work, I've only fairly recently been going to car shows and only the last couple of years put my car on the stand. And can tell the organisation has gone down hill in that time.

I would love to volunteer but I have no idea what to do. Or the confidence to jump in and do something like this.

Although after the shambles of last year, as was said afterwards, we need to do something.

This may be a club owned by a faceless organisation, but this is our club made by us for us.

Geoff if you're willing to step up and work your magic with the stand I'm more than willing to be your lackey and find out what needs be done.

Or if we can keep this in mind and just have everyone on the same page nearer the time we can make a good show. Can't be much worse than last year :lol:

· Registered
7,764 Posts
I have no idea on what's involved to make these things work, I've only fairly recently been going to car shows and only the last couple of years put my car on the stand. And can tell the organisation has gone down hill in that time.

I would love to volunteer but I have no idea what to do. Or the confidence to jump in and do something like this.

Although after the shambles of last year, as was said afterwards, we need to do something.

This may be a club owned by a faceless organisation, but this is our club made by us for us.

Geoff if you're willing to step up and work your magic with the stand I'm more than willing to be your lackey and find out what needs be done.

Or if we can keep this in mind and just have everyone on the same page nearer the time we can make a good show. Can't be much worse than last year :lol:
I would love to get involved but have so much to organise this year and any more time taken up with car clubs, will lead to being single pretty quickly :lol: ...... mmmm now theres a thought :shifty:

I'm happy to get involved with the organising, to pass on info, locate flags etc but i'm not sure I can make Ford Fair this year.

If we can get few people happy to help, who are going to be there on the day, we could approach the staff for their input and experience also, maybe even create a sub forum, which can only be accessed by the volunteers, which could give you a central area to organise and discuss ?? Just a thought .....

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
I am rubbish at being a deciding force for many reasons (confidence, lazy, procrastinating etc etc) but when something needs to be done, it's got to be done.

We've got time to prepare at the moment :)

What confuses it for me, is I'm only in the st oc and have little interest in the other forums, but the stand is focus, fiesta, Mondeo and rs isn't it?

· Registered
7,764 Posts
I am rubbish at being a deciding force for many reasons (confidence, lazy, procrastinating etc etc) but when something needs to be done, it's got to be done.

We've got time to prepare at the moment :)

What confuses it for me, is I'm only in the st oc and have little interest in the other forums, but the stand is focus, fiesta, Mondeo and rs isn't it?
It's just a case of looking at the area allocated from the Ford Fair organisers (the size of which will be decided by ticket sales I can imagine) and working out how to split it by how many tickets each club has sold. As they (the RS, Mondeo, and Fiesta) part of clubs have bought ticket allocated to the same area, with the right manning, you could be holding the cars at the entrance to the area, directing them via other volunteers to the part of the area set out for their specific model, which keeps it uniformed in groups of different models, rather than a free for all...... well thats a basic overview, if that makes sense :lol:

· Registered
7,764 Posts
What is the best way of organising between the separate forums, just sign up and post on them all?
You could ask the staff to post up asking for volunteers on each or just sign up and post yourself :) If you could get 2 from each or at least 5-6 across the clubs, you'd have a decent number to help get it organised. :yep:

· Registered
4,371 Posts
If I'd had known this month's ago I would of happily got involved
Organised meets up and down the country and a massive London tunnel run too .
I've got a Head photographer on board with us ..a very very well-known Worldwide Known Old Skool DJ and a lot of keen and enthusiastic people that I tend to get into trouble with their other halves because I keep making them spend money on their cars lol ...(hey people ask my opinion and I detail exactly what they need and advise on what's best to mod first or making sure the car is reliable with the major aesthetics required :)
If you want to give us a follow on Instagram @essexstrs feel free
As said we are just starting to build very slowly and have various events coming up and tunnel run which I was going to ask people on here if they would like to come along to once I've confirmed a date .

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
I've started doing some research, signed up to the other forums.

Mondeo STOC is dead, at least i didn't find a mention about ford fair 2019.

Fiesta STOC didn't seem to have much to say about ford fair 2019 (maybe more fiesta owners are on other stands..?)

We all know our opinion about last year, which seems to be mirrored on the Focus RS OC but maybe with a more defeatist attitude.

I have been thinking for a little while it might be nice for all these forums with people who care to start up with their own forum/club so it can consolidate and relive the 'old days' that i never witnessed. Unfortunately the wealth of information on these forums would be too much to lose in my opinion.

· Registered
16 Posts
1st time for me but i will be there and looking forward to it, told the Mrs not to book anything in for that weekend 👍. A little off topic but is Anyone heading to the Nec this weekend? Usually see a bunch of cars in the premier inn car park.

· Registered
707 Posts
I'm just reading through this all again, I haven't got my tickets yet,,, need some serious advice on what I need to buy to get me and my car through the gates! BUT I intend to be there (have book the weekend off work and the Friday as well... so "I'm in" loll.

Now admitted I have no experience of the logistics side of all this... and granted, I haven't been on here long, but I'm willing to offer my services to assist with things to hopefully put on a show!

Kiemuloly, I'll gladly back you up if you wish to do this? I have a couple of ideas to make it a 'club thing' and don't mind doing a bit of leg work to hopefully add to everyone's day!

· Registered
Mike Mk2 ST225
3,269 Posts
A seen a post on another forum from previous years that got shot down because it wasn't even Easter yet.

My plan is to start trying to put out feelers after Easter. Hopefully that won't be too late to get things rolling

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.