Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I'm just unsure weather to go for the standard pads with standard discs.

I would want to go on track the odd time just to see what she does. But not make it a regular thing.

Is it worth splashing out extra for something like the cosworth street master pads or the ferodos or just stick with ford pads.

I'm unsure what pads I'm currently running And don't want to downgrade without knowing lol.

Phil

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Ford discs and updates pads

That's what the consensus is on here anyway. Stick some dot 5.1 brake fluid in and braided lines whilst you're at it

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about cosworth ones. As I won't be on the track all time. Plus they work out cheaper than ferodo ds2500.

Not heard many reviews on the cossie ones on here.

I've literally just had a fresh lot of dot 4 put in

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I was thinking about cosworth ones. As I won't be on the track all time. Plus they work out cheaper than ferodo ds2500.

Not heard many reviews on the cossie ones on here.

I've literally just had a fresh lot of dot 4 put in
i've got them in with grooved discs and motul rbf600 and there spot on for fast road use, i've never had fade yet

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Original pads are fine for occasional track use but you need to upgrade the brake fluid to a DOT 5.1 or equivalent! We did many years of track work on standard brakes! As far as im concerned the only true upgrade to the brakes are multipiston calipers and bigger discs!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have Ford rotors with Ferodo Premier rear pads and Mintex 1144 front pads. The Premiers are no better than Ford pads for spirited driving, the Mintex take a beating, but gee they're noisy ******* when used lightly

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I have Ford rotors with Ferodo Premier rear pads and Mintex 1144 front pads. The Premiers are no better than Ford pads for spirited driving, the Mintex take a beating, but gee they're noisy ******* when used lightly
Just to totally dissagree for a change, the Mintex are the worst pad we have ever tried! They run far too hot, wear the discs out and create clouds and clouds of dust! They stop well especially from cold but wreck the brakes!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
And the Ferodo pads weld themselves to the disk if you leave the car stood for more than half a day. Not sure if that would be the case on a standard caliper though.

We had that with the DS2500s but even when you removed the surface deposit on the discs it had marked the metal itself! Had to scrap the discs in the end! As Dave says though ive never heard of it happening on standard discs!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
no noise of the cossy pads at all, on my megane 225 i had the 1144's and the stopping power is good! but the noise and dust is baaaaad! and that was with brembo callipers.
the cosworth pads are better stopping power with no noise and small amount of dust only problem i found was they took a long time to bed in

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I upgrade the front pads but go with the standard rear pads.

Or is this not reccomended because may imbalance the set up etc.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah ok that will save me abit of money then.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to upset the car.
Thanks for reply. Think I'll get cossie front pads from what you've said about them

Any tips for bedding in?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ah ok that will save me abit of money then.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to upset the car.
Thanks for reply. Think I'll get cossie front pads from what you've said about them

Any tips for bedding in?
i just did 200mile of steady driving followed by 150mile round trip of hardcore driving with the reno sport lads (not the best way of bedding pads in lol)

·
Registered
649 Posts
how much are the cossie pads? mine was supposed to have had new brakes fitted all round before purchase but they are rubbish. think they used the motocraft version.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts