Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

Just a quick photo attachment of my ST3 that has been washed in Fairy Liquid to get rid of thw waxy build-up, then covered the whole car with SupaGard Paint Sealant. I try and do this once a year, but might even get it professionaly done next time, but we'll see?

Regards

Wezfo

Attachments

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I wouldnd wash a car in fairy liquid. I used to on my old cars till someone told me it can mess the paint up.

Les

·
Registered
419 Posts
Fairy liquid is a good remover of old wax etc.
I suspect the OP was doing just this ready for sealing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good shine but I strongly recommend you not to use the Fairy Liquid as wont do your paintwork any favours in the long run

Try Do Do Juice Supernatural Shampoo with Do Do Juice Lime Prime - this will remove all the waxes previously applied

Rob

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I have just had to check my diary to make sure it wasn't 1.4.10

I do not know who taught you to do this but they need locking up

Never use fairy on your car paint and supagard is a product designed for those who do not look after their cars, i.e. never polish it etc.

Don't get me wrong I think your heart is in the right place you just need pointing in the right direction.....the meguires shelf in halfrauds would be a start

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Never use fairy on your car paint and supagard is a product designed for those who do not look after their cars, i.e. never polish it etc.

Don't get me wrong I think your heart is in the right place you just need pointing in the right direction.....the meguires shelf in halfrauds would be a start
Do not get me wrong, I only use this SupaGard Paint Sealant once a year. In the meantime, I regulary use Auto Glym Aqua Wax or Meguairs Gold Glass polish etc.... In regards to the Fairy Liquid approach, I only use that once a year too, just to disperse the old wax build-up, then use the paint sealant. I agree it's the worst stuff to use, but I do not know of any other shampoo that acts as a detergent etc..... All the other times I wash the car, then I use either SupaGard Nutrilizer Shampoo or the Auto Glym Shampoo.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Agreed. The Fairy liquid approach is exactly to remove the old wax etc.... What's the point in using paint sealant thats going to sit on top of the wax? Trust me, I hate using Fairy liquid, just glad that it's only once a year or every 18-months it gets used.

·
Registered
648 Posts
there are some good TFR's on the market and/or clays, which safely remove old wax...i do believe fairy is too harsh

but once a year is probably ok....but i still wouldnt myself

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My next door neighbour laughs at me when I get my box of goodies out to wash the car - he only ever users washing up liquid to wash his car and then will wax it twice a year ?? Takes him less than an hr ... Normally takes me that long just to rinse and wash ...

I'd never use any washing up liquids

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
All shampoos are detergents that is how they work/remove the oil and dirt, remembering back to my chemistry o-level.

All you need to do to get down to a nice clean bit/base is polish using something with a mild cut in it :thumbsup. Or you could use some Ajax

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yep same here would never dream of using fairy on the car but you only use it the once so cant be that bad.
Its fine to use to remove previous paint treatments. Obviously common sense would tell you not to use it all the time. You have to look at the OPs reason behind using it. I use washing up liquid on some cars I detail to remove previous 'Paint Treatments and sealants'. Washing once with fairy liquid will only remove the sealant and will barely come into contact with the paints surface. You have to remember that the sealants job is to protect against salts and acid etc.

TFRs generally contain Alkalines which are corrosive to alloy and polished surfaces. I wouldb't use TFRs on my cars, yet most hand car wash centres spray the stuff all over the cars sitting in the queues. That stuff left on paint for any length of time would be far more damaging.

The cars looking super clean by the way. Good Job

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My next door neighbour laughs at me when I get my box of goodies out to wash the car - he only ever users washing up liquid to wash his car and then will wax it twice a year ?? Takes him less than an hr ... Normally takes me that long just to rinse and wash ...

I'd never use any washing up liquids
LOL - It was funny trying to get rid of all the soap suds that the Fairy Liquid created, just kept making more and took forever.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its fine to use to remove previous paint treatments. Obviously common sense would tell you not to use it all the time. You have to look at the OPs reason behind using it. I use washing up liquid on some cars I detail to remove previous 'Paint Treatments and sealants'. Washing once with fairy liquid will only remove the sealant and will barely come into contact with the paints surface. You have to remember that the sealants job is to protect against salts and acid etc.

TFRs generally contain Alkalines which are corrosive to alloy and polished surfaces. I wouldb't use TFRs on my cars, yet most hand car wash centres spray the stuff all over the cars sitting in the queues. That stuff left on paint for any length of time would be far more damaging.

The cars looking super clean by the way. Good Job
Thanks for the remarks fella, all taken in to consideration. Just seems like I've started a war regarding "Fairy Liquid" for washing the motor. I apologise if this has angered some people but hopefully no harm has been done to anyone or my paintwork, lol. I think that the Fairy Liquid has started to fade the laquer from my alloys slightly and will avoid that next time.

·
Registered
693 Posts

In some way, I do agree with you, and Fairy Liquid is not a great chioce but was only thinking of removing the old layer of Paint Protection, only to re-lay some new paint protection. With regards to using SupaGard, I didn't think that it's too bad as Fords do not stop advertising it, and my car was coated in SupaGard products when purchasing so just thought I would continue using it, along with my vast range of Auto Glym products.

Sorry to offend, lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts